fixed gear qu...sorry

cyclone

Dirt Disciple
i have a 20" wheel shopper that i want to go fixed with...

im thinking of slotting in bmx wheels or single speed kids mtb wheels

i know if i was using a rear wheel off a geared donor bike i could fit spacers,fixed cog and a lock ring with loctite

but the qu is....

can a single speed bmx wheel have a fixed cog screwed on as a replacement and that's it...or does it still need a lock ring?..is there room for a lock ring on this wheel?

cheers chaps...

It still needs a lockring. Don't know about room, what BMX wheels are you thinking of using? I'm guessing some old ones since decent modern ones all have cassette hubs?

As is so often the case, your best friend is Sheldon Brown. Take a gander here, towards the bottom he has pics and details of his Raleigh 20 fixed gear folder. Take a surf around the site, he gives chapter and verse on 'how to fixed gear'.

http://sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html

The guy was and will always be a legend.

EDIT: If you're not using it for hard core riding, a lockring off a cup and cone bottom bracket is the same thread ;)

Just remember the loctite and don't back pedal.

bmx wheels may be a tad wide...from what i'm readin..not sure tho

so was thinkin of maybe a rear wheel from a single speed kids bike as a donor like an apollo xc20 or something

i do want to pedal backwards... ;)

will have to read up on cassette hubs

if i have to i have a welder... :D

yeah i'm familiar with sheldon brown...he says one speeds are easy to fix ?

ok cheers guys..

yep, is hub...think the width issue is more at front end...

cheers for sheldon link..couple of items not seen before...

so my thoughts are...

a budget kids bike single speed will have a freewheel hub?...so will replace it with a halo fixed cog for 15 quid. BB lockring i have, loctite i will get and will look for back wheel in the tip.....

so for 20 quid i could have a usable fixie....possibly

You should be able to get a cheap fixie cog for a fiver at your LBS. will be good enough for what you're doing.

The front hub width is most likely 90mm- you can use a standard hub if you remove the cone locknuts and adjust the cones once the wheel is in the fork.
or just get a bit of pipe and bend em out :)

Andy

yeah riding fixed on a shopper wont be like ridin fixed on a racer..its to commute a short distance and go to the shops on

but wanna look cool doin it..lol

so a cheap cog a bit of loctite and BB ring should be sufficient.....will have a front brake of course...

might be able to get hold of a wider alloy wheel coaster set up now though....which means i could use bike with two options...cool

and still use SA when i fancy it...so 3 bikes in 1... :D

There is an article on sheldon Brown about converting the good old Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs into 2 speed fix gear hubs, now that would be fun!

that sounds good..will read that, not seen it yet....fancy doing that to an old frame with a spare SA..sounds fun... :D

Back