Votes: 0 0.0%
  • October 2009 - Oneschnark's Grove Innovation Titanium

• November 2009 - 24pouces' 1988 Cannondale SM600

• December 2009 - bushpig's Mantis X Frame

• Total voters
I love the C-26 and it is an amazing story and committed build, but I never wanted one as much as I wanted Bradbury Manitou, so it gets my vote. Plus I think there is no danger of the C-26 losing, so I'm happy to share the love! Honourable mention to Si's Pace as well. Best of British. :)

Elev12k":38mx358n said:
It seems the retro-esque bikes are full in fashion. Bikes that are inspired on and show resemblance in concept with the thoroughbreds of yesteryear. The C-26 was put together recently and its Accutrax contains carbon and Bas' Serotta features a modern era paintscheme and several modern parts as well. Both great concepts and interesting bikes, but not proper vintage.

It is a disgrace the Grove got only the amount of votes it did untill now. It is a simple bike, but them who are more into detail know it is among -if not the one- the ones constructed with most care and attention. You can discuss whether function matters in this contest, but on this field it would probably beat all too. Among the low number votes is not mine btw, but as Miyata aficionado since my 1st proper bike I had no option.

I agree 100% with this post, and it's why I voted the way I did, for the Grove.

I very much agree with elev12k, as I invariably do. To be blunt, some of the builds look a bit gay to me. I would never vote for a bike that didn't look as though it was intended to be ridden, and would be great to ride in all conditions, including getting you home from the back of beyond in a storm.

I expect I shall vote for the DynaTech, as a great-looking bike that's a genuine performer, but the Grove is the bike I would most like to own and there's just something about that Miyata that makes it look totally right.

mrkawasaki":179l0bub said:
For me there is little merit in the catalogue-correct (save for museum pieces), nor in the time/effort/money spent... I prefer a fluid mix of the evocative 'period-correct' and the infinite challenge of being 'free' to build an old frame up as a 'retro' one - so much more scope for disaster/success (as we all know) and far, far less likely to scoop a popularist poll such as this!

My four BoTYs are:

4. Mike's C-26
3. Pete's Manitou
2. Phillipe's Grove

1. Hairstream's Ultimate

Mr K

PS. Looking forward to an equally interesting 'Also Ran' poll - watch this space.... ;-)

These are my 4 too plus the miyata, :? but I've not picked a winner yet. All show a perfect measure of build classiness :cool: but all are very desirable.

Anthony":280nlw1s said:
To be blunt, some of the builds look a bit gay to me

Superb! :LOL: The only way to make my Yeti look gayer would be to have Dale Winton riding it with George Michael sat cross-legged on the bars. Although that said it's not the gayest bike in the list, there is only one Elton John MTB...

Quality competition and not surprised to see the C-26 garnering so many votes but when I looked last night it was neck and neck with the Serotta and Dynatech but overnight really forged ahead. The attention to detail behind it and back story is really interesting but, even with the story and people involved in the project, I can't bring myself to vote for a reproduction.

Which brings me neatly to the standout bike for me, Mark's stunning Dynatech. Has an equally great story, real attention to detail, classy provenance and seeing Adrian Timmis on it at Cannock in December 2008 was the icing on the cake. It was also impressive to see Mark ragging it at MM in 2009 complete with Dynatech kit (and I now understand that the bibshorts have gone a bit see through :shock: so when will that sight be seen again?).

So, BoTY for me, by a good distance, is the Dynatech restoration.

ededwards":zwmb10fx said:
Quality competition and not surprised to see the C-26 garnering so many votes . . . The attention to detail behind it and back story is really interesting but, even with the story and people involved in the project, I can't bring myself to vote for a reproduction.

ed, spot on as usual, no offence mike, it really was a fantastic story.

i looked through the pics first before reading any comments so as not to be lead by any other comments, i settled on the dynatech.

reasons are, and i mean no offence to any non UK members, this is retrobike.co.UK so i wanted to vote for a british bike, these were the bikes we saw back in the day, the yeti's, groves etc are fantastic bikes but they weren't really that well known by the masses, of which i was one back then!! :D

the other reason is the story of it, it wasn't just a case of get a frame and and some bits, mark went the whole hog!! got the bike, restored it, got the t shirt (well the lycra kit!) got hold of adrian timmis, raced it at mayhem, got it in the mags, and it's ridden regularly from what i can tell aswel.

some of the others i bet are as mint now as when they were built, and that is fine, lets face it, some of what we build we consider art aswel as transport! :D

Latest posts

Back