Orange Prestige 92/93 Period Correct (hopefully!)

northerndave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Updated
DSC_2981.jpg

Syncros, Onza and RC30's

More pics on page 2 and 3...

Read on where we started..

So chaps, here begins to story of my 92 Orange Prestige. Orange was my ride of choice back in the day and since joining RetroBike I’ve hankered after another. I dug out my old Orange catalogues, flicked through MBUK, only to find I’d cut out most Orange reviews, adverts and pictures15 years ago and glued them to my school folders. I found photographs of all my old Oranges – 2 E2’s and a P7 – which I’ll stick up here sometime.

After spending 2009’s pocket money on Fat Chances I’ve now decided the winter 2010 project is an Orange – and I’m gonna try as hard as I can to right my previous wrongs and go period correct.

The starting point being a 92 Prestige frame in orange and purple fade. So, my model year is 1992/1993.

Here’s where the fun begins.

Exhibit A – The 1992 Orange catalogue for bedtime reading and model information.
DSC_2683.jpg

DSC_2682.jpg

Exhibit B – MBUK November 1992. I initially picked this up to look up the old Stif ad to make sure I only put on parts I could have conceivably bought from Stif in 1992.
DSC_2684.jpg

Nicely the ad confirms the existence of the purple/orange fade on the 92/93 Prestige.
DSC_2688.jpg

Then as if the retro gods were smiling purple anodising on me, this particular MBUK contains a review of the new 93 model Prestige. This also confirms a few things I’d been questioning about the Prestige and that that it does have rack mounts and that the 93 model had at some stage the classic Orange serif decals
DSC_2686.jpg

So, away we go. Hopefully it won’t cost me more that it did new!

I’m going for a DX/XT build. Usual components, USE seatpost, flite etc. Stems are being a bit tricky to locate, I’ve got an SK8 but that’s not going to cut it. Anyone got a AliStalk?

I’m not gonna reveal the full bike yet as I’ve still got some bits on the way, but here’s some teasers. More coming soon

MMMmm, new decals check the Serif
DSC_2690.jpg

XT M730 at the back
DSC_2691.jpg

And again at the front with a bit of Deore (DXish)
DSC_2693.jpg

Yeah I know, mad isn't it. Oh, Matt one of your old wheels is ending up on this thing - LX/Mavic 231 on the front.

Man :shock: thats nice.. going to have to get me another orange now.. :roll: :roll: thanks very bloody much :LOL: :LOL:

Sithlord":1s7oojne said:
Man :shock: thats nice.. going to have to get me another orange now.. :roll: :roll: thanks very bloody much :LOL: :LOL:

Haha, sorry about that. My P7's still knocking about if you're still interested.

my clockwork was originally that paint scheme when i found it on scrap heap! was gonna re do it in that colour but decided to go for BRG instead so i'll be interested to see what it looks like when complete! :D

Bike's looking good.

Chain is a bit suspect round the rear mech, you may have a stiff link.

Fantastic :) . looking at that bike test now i forgot how good they looked they looked in plain grey :cool: , infact i forgot they came in plain grey.

Ali Stalk, I saw one of them crop up not so long ago. As to where I do not know.

Get all that stuff scanned in, a good high res of the Orange catalogue with good colour would be excellent. The stiff 'orange' advert is already up somewhere.

Looking good, campag rim on the rear and 231 on the front. Not going to match ;) Though silver 231 will be ok.

Back