Help with Marin frame numbers please!

Marin MTB

Thank you for those pointers. With the way that this alloy bike frame came up with wirewool then Autosol, it's a shame to paint any alloy bike at all. I shall look for the model to identify where the other top frame decals should be then try to source originals. Again thank you for bothering to reply so quickly.

interseting. ok so ive read through all this and know a little bit more but some doesnt work for me. i contacted marin a while back and sent them my numbers but marin usa said they couldnt id it, must be a uk model. i mailed marin uk and got no response. so

i have 2 numbers F690FSRO23 and 2069R

the frame says it is ovation 7005, it measures 15'' from centre BB to seat post.

so Fairly, model 6 (except its not its a bobcat trail=:cool: 1999?
my R i guess will be a B=15.5''

yeah? so does 1999 make me the owner of a retro bike?

Thanks for digging this one up Tina!
My Marin has a frame number FG5LA0004, which I take it as a 95 year but what code would be for the actual model of bike?

hello curly mate, think you have to make your g into a number

G3G3G3? G5G5G5? G8G8G8?

id go for the 5 i reckon. i think what i was reading for mine as a 6 was an 8

would that make sense from a year point of view? presumably all ranges were not around at same time so if my model 8 is a 1999 then a model 5 might be a 1995?

Curly68":2jbpjjgj said:
Thanks for digging this one up Tina!
My Marin has a frame number FG5LA0004, which I take it as a 95 year but what code would be for the actual model of bike?

Without a picture it's always harder, the G to me along with the 1995 made in year would put it as an Alu bike

So a 1995 or 1996 model, G = no idea yet, I did have a list working out the Alu frames and they seem to increment every year (until they went to the Manitou style rear end when they switch plant, ie. IFT in 1995)

Unfortunately cannot find the full list I was creating, only a partial list with bits missing.

PICTURES say a lot, did I mention that ;)

---
L8 starter, sounds modern so no idea ;) Work the model out from bikepedia or find a catalogue. For 1998 and 1999, though your uses a 10 digit code, these where for 9 digit codes.

FluffyChicken":233b3ncu said:
L8 starter, sounds modern so no idea ;) Work the model out from bikepedia or find a catalogue. For 1998 and 1999, though your uses a 10 digit code, these where for 9 digit codes.

tried searching ages ago and gave up. cant find any reference to bobcat with a silver ovation frame. i concluded that id give up tryin and conatcted marin who also couldnt help!!!

when you say modern what does that mean? what does retro actually mean?

L8 starter":4buykmsz said:
FluffyChicken":4buykmsz said:

tried searching ages ago and gave up. cant find any reference to bobcat with a silver ovation frame. i concluded that id give up tryin and conatcted marin who also couldnt help!!!

when you say modern what does that mean? what does retro actually mean?

Modern is for a different topic, just search on that and you'll get the same info.
But 1998+ is defined as non-retro by this sites current standard ;) [not mine]

Just got my Eldridge Grade frame in the mail today, frame number is:

M903040706

Anyone care to translate? :D

I think it's a 19" 1990 Eldridge Grade.

I feel that the 2 frames above make good comparison, and I can see a constant in theior digits.

They are both made in Marvel factory.

They are both 1990 bikes, which is the 2nd and 3rd numbers.

The next number is the range in descending order. Eldridge was 3rd and Bear Valley was 4th. These numbers are clearly seen.

The rest of the numbers in the code are for size and factory production codes to recognise a date and individual responsible or manufacture. These are a little irrelevant for our purpose, and I feel it is the first digitd which recognise what frame you are looking at.

From seeing and talking with Marin owners and ATB sales, there were some exceptions to this rule, where frames were upgraded in the factory and appeared as another model in the showroom.

These basic rules of coding are applied to the later early 90's bikes in a very similar form.

Does anybody have any pre 1991 frames to compare with these other 2 which we are sure of?

Back