1980's Frenchie

lugless

Retro Newbie
I am still new to forums so forgive me if this goes pear shaped :(

I picked up this little french number which I am very pleased with but not sure about the frame. It is very light but not sure what it is made of.

It bears no decals or markings other than the name A de Carvallho.

Can anyone offer any opinions. Are these Bocama longpoint lugs or is that wishful thing on my part ?

4231102941_397a713669_b.jpg

More Images available on flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/60655102@N ... 921197351/

Very nice! Those drilled Stronglight rings look superb!

Can't comment too much about the frame but those dropouts look very similar to those that I have seen on 1976 Gitane frames - see here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gitane-Frame-Fixe ... 500wt_1182

If it is a Gitane it is very likely to be 531. If they are Bocama lugs then there may well have the initials BCM stamped into them, have a long hard look.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Look familiar?

1976_frame.jpg

1976 Gitane Tour De France.

I really like them actually, next time I see one for sale I'm going to buy it (that comment should ensure that prices go sky high over the next few years).

Thanks v much Tel,

That is an uncanny resemblance. I think you have solved the riddle.

I feel happier keeping the bike unchanged now. I was concerned that the components were better quality than the frame but it seems they are all pretty much standard for the model (right down to the Normandy hubs).

I am very pleased with the info provided. Thanks again.

No problemo what else was there to do New Years Eve anyway :?: :D

The components are spot on but it's crying out for some french gearing (Simplex) and a classic seatpost in my humble opinion.

Lovely :cool:

Good suggestions.

I need to make sure there is no provenance with this bike before refinishing with Gitane decals. I am still a bit puzzled by the name on the frame.

4234966820_2336779307_o.jpg
[/img]

Tel":vbm128fl said:
Very nice! Those drilled Stronglight rings look superb!

Can't comment too much about the frame but those dropouts look very similar to those that I have seen on 1976 Gitane frames - see here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gitane-Frame-Fixe ... 500wt_1182

If it is a Gitane it is very likely to be 531. If they are Bocama lugs then there may well have the initials BCM stamped into them, have a long hard look.

Ah, that very frame resides in my shed! I thought £30 was a bargain and had visions of riding around on a french classic. The frame needs a respray I think, new BB and headset. I am not sure whether its a TDF or an inferior Interclub.
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1976_pg6.jpg

Wired99

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the reply Wired99,

I am no expert but I find this bike a great ride and it's got to be worth getting on the road.

I have looked at a few Gitane models to try to identify mine since getting guided in that direction here (Thanks to Tel for that).

I have found many images of TDF and some inferior models and each one seems to have different components/characteristics that match and others that don't.

Some have Simplex dropouts and some have Campo, the chromed honeycomb dropouts on mine don't seem to have a makers name just the number 54.

Mine does have the Weinmann brakes as per your attachment, but has Normandy hubs, Campo headset, 3TTT bars and stem. I suspect each model may have changed a bit over the years as well as any personal mods by previous owners.

I also suspected the Gitane 600 as a possible match with the Arabesque derailleur.

Thanks for the reply. It was good to see another image to help me if I decide to respray and apply Gitane decals.

Get that frame sorted wired, my finger hovered over the BIN button many times and I kept talking myself out of it....bargain.

Lugless it would be hard to identify a bike by it's component unless you know it is 100% original but like you say they're often changed. Perhaps a frame number or other defining feature would help but really I think that the guys over on the Gitane forum would be able to help more than anyone else on here* (probably).

*Not trying to get rid of you btw! ;)

I believe, from the little bit of research I did on mine, that the rear dropouts are Huret. I could be wrong but looks like Gitane only used them in '76. I guess, given your frame has a 'name' on it, they may have changed some stuff too.

Wired99

Back