1997 Specialized Rockhopper in progress

beshroomed

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello all, this is my first retro rebuild project I thought I'd share.

I'm rebuilding a 1997 Rockhopper back to close to original spec. Picked it up on eBay 2 years ago to get back into cycling following several years of poor health. My previous bike was an Orange Clockwork LX 1993 or 1994, insurance replacement for a stolen Kona Lava Dome. The Orange is since long gone, had an argument with a car and lost :(

It's nowhere near as amazing as some of the builds on here but it is being fun to do nonetheless!

It started life nearly like this :
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...=Specialized&Model=Rockhopper A1 FS&Type=bike

except mine has a 73mm BB shell, 11-28T Hyperglide C cassette (original?), and a Ritchey Logic headset (original?).
Also when I purchased it, the BB had been replaced with a UN72 and the tyres weren't the originals.

Pics to follow.

This is the planned spec so far :

Frame: Specialized 1997 Rockhopper A1 Aluminium Direct Drive

Fork: Rock Shox Indy C

Headset: Ritchey Logic
Stem: Specialized Cold Forged Aluminium
Handlebar: Specialized
Grips: Lizard Skin Lock-On short

Brakes: Avid SD 2.0
Brake Pads: Clarks
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Dia Compe 7 Direct Pull DP-7

Shifters: Gripshift SRT 600 7spd
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio FD-MC14
Rear Derailleur: Shimano STX RD-MC34
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Hyperglide-C 7spd 11-28T
Chain: KMC Z
Cranks: Sugino MD-4 175mm
Crank Bolts: stock
Chainrings: Shimano 22T, Sugino CSCII 32T, Sugino CSCII 42T (all NOS)
Chainring bolts: Specialized
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN72
Pedals: Kona Jack Shit

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Front:Mavic X517, Rear:Mavic X517
Hubs: Front:Hope Ti, Rear:Shimano XT FH-M737
Spokes: Stainless Steel
Tyres: Front: Specialized 26x2 Team Control, Rear: Specialized 26x1.9 Team Master
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Specialized
Seatpost: stock
Seatpost Binder: Specialized

Weight: est. 12.5kg

Some of the original components:

08wheel3.jpg

14mechs.jpg

collarclamp.jpg

diacompev.jpg

Paint job has gone bad on these. Couple of mins with some sandpaper and wire wool then a bit of autosol and it doesn't look too bad. Shame one decal is quite messed, the other is in great condition. I'll strip up to them as best I can and see how it goes. Functionally the levers are sound.
diacompelevers.jpg

It's amazing how well the old stuff comes up with a bit of elbow grase, wire wool and autosol. Looking good so far!

You going to stay with the original frame colour? Powder coat or paint?

Not sure how often these decals come up on eBay, but you may want to drop gil_m a PM to see if he has these already on file. If you need to get them made from scratch, then make sure you measure the decals and take plenty of pics too, some with ruler in shot. Get some tracing paper and trace them too, can be handy as a reference for when you 'unroll' the decal pics.

Haven't decided on a colour yet but possibly something like british racing green and get new decals made (thanks for the tips!), but with yellow trim instead, to match the tyres stripe + indy SL lowers.

Finding mixed info on powder coating aluminium, I think it depends on which grade alu is used? And I would need to run a tap on all threads afterwards too?

Advice on if powder coating this frame is wise would be appreciated. :)

Looks like the rear wheel needs a new rim, which would make me want to get both rebuilt so the rims match..
So I think I will use these instead:

edit-change of wheel plans, something different otw more period correct

Scored some gripshift 400s and free elastomers for the original forks so I'll get the lowers sprayed up at the same time as the frame.

Thats going to be a nice looking ride. You know, if you squint slightly that would pass for an M2 Stumpjumper ;)

Back