My obsession with cranksets

:shock: well, isn't that a nice collection.

I spy a steely danz :)

I have a rock ring with a matching paint scheme to that purple/black one between the 3dv coda magic and the rasta kooka.

of the steel cranks on the table, which would you rate the best?

Thanks for sharing...very cool :cool:

deralex":39yoonte said:
Oh, Shamus, I have to disagree. Nothing even comes close to Campagnolos C-Record in beauty. The track version is so sweet, too.
Carbon is - hm - plastic. Special waste. I let others have and use this material.
The Record may be the most beautiful one among carbon cranks. I only plan to get some plastic cranks for a freak show.

Sorry, I forget one word... most beautiful carbon crank.

I also think that C-Record in a true beauty and also track versions.
I do have couple pairs...

GoldenEraMTB: You spy two MRC cranks. The red one in the middle and the nickel plated one on the top left.

Best steel crank? Among all the cranks I have there is only one "custom" crank I am actually using on one of my bikes. It´s a Sweet Parts Wings.
So this is the answer to your question.
There are too many drawbacks at all others. Like a high Q-factor (very, very bad! This is disqualifies most steel cranks in my opinion! E.g. MRC, Syncros, Grove). Flimsy welding (Breezer, MRC, Syncros, CQP). Bad bottom bracket (Bullseye). Compared to Sweet most othery are very heavy and have a rough BMX style look.

But, when reality speaks you have to choose other stuff. My favourite MTB crank of all time is pictured, too.

deralex":20xtvtls said:
GoldenEraMTB: You spy two MRC cranks. The red one in the middle and the nickel plated one on the top left.

Best steel crank? Among all the cranks I have there is only one "custom" crank I am actually using on one of my bikes. It´s a Sweet Parts Wings.
So this is the answer to your question.
There are too many drawbacks at all others. Like a high Q-factor (very, very bad! This is disqualifies most steel cranks in my opinion! E.g. MRC, Syncros, Grove). Flimsy welding (Breezer, MRC, Syncros, CQP). Bad bottom bracket (Bullseye). Compared to Sweet most othery are very heavy and have a rough BMX style look.

But, when reality speaks you have to choose other stuff. My favourite MTB crank of all time is pictured, too.

oh, nice.

Had never seen a mrc nickel plated, so didn't consider it.

Good point on the Q-factor of the steel cranks. I figured mountain bikes have poor q-factors to begin with, so I didn't give it much further thought. Most mrc stuff is poorly welded, so that's not surprising.

I'm definitely interested in your favorite mtb crank of all time...is it the xtr m900; nothing special about it, but it works great? It's one of my favorites, but I have not had the crank experience you have...please share :D

deralex":164871nw said:

I'm guessing that your favorite cranks are the Magic Motorcycle cranks. Those are my favorite at least. :D

First of all I like to wish a happy new year 2010 to everybody.

My favourite crank?
Magics are very high on my list in terms of collector´s value. When it´s time to actually use the stuff no machined crank has ever been chosen by me.

I like cold forged cranks. The M900 XTR are very nice but they have a corrosion problem when used in fair weather and in winter time.

Overall, if you consider availability, durability, corrosion resistance, possible q-factors, available crank lengths, compatible rings and bottom brackets, frame compatibility, stiffness and weight there is one superior crank.
I am using these cranks at my workhorse MTB. They are the very same that came on my first MTB. They have seen three or four frames (two of them broke) and a lot of chainrings. They get 3000-5000 miles each year and they are 19.5 years old now. They last very, very long when mounted correctly as they really can take a beating.
They are silver Shimano´s XT FC-M730. Mine are 180mm.
The best! But I have to admit that other cold forged high quality cranks are quite close.

cranks

Yes, the XT cranks are very good and will last forever if treated correctly.
I've had good success with Sugino cranks as well, even though they are heavy and not collectible.

deralex":cz9p2zbw said:
First of all I like to wish a happy new year 2010 to everybody.

My favourite crank?
Magics are very high on my list in terms of collector´s value. When it´s time to actually use the stuff no machined crank has ever been chosen by me.

I like cold forged cranks. The M900 XTR are very nice but they have a corrosion problem when used in fair weather and in winter time.

Overall, if you consider availability, durability, corrosion resistance, possible q-factors, available crank lengths, compatible rings and bottom brackets, frame compatibility, stiffness and weight there is one superior crank.
I am using these cranks at my workhorse MTB. They are the very same that came on my first MTB. They have seen three or four frames (two of them broke) and a lot of chainrings. They get 3000-5000 miles each year and they are 19.5 years old now. They last very, very long when mounted correctly as they really can take a beating.
They are silver Shimano´s XT FC-M730. Mine are 180mm.
The best! But I have to admit that other cold forged high quality cranks are quite close.

Thanks for the New Year's wish and the detailed response- good stuff.

Yes, cold forged is the way to go, especially if one does not have the ideal lightweight bicyclist body...like me :D

Deralex....just curious if you are still trying to grow your collection and add cranks that you haven't collected yet? If so what is on your "need/want" list.

It was a big pain bidding against you in the past. I don't think I ever won an auction where we both bid I think you did buy one of your collected cranks from me at one time. Maybe even two of them.

GoldenEraMTB, I think I have a lightweight body. I´m 5´10" weighting 138/139 pounds but I still prefer forged stuff. Just take a look at he parts Keirin racers are using. This NJS certified stuff is oldschool but it holds up. These guys are performing so many more watts than I am able to. A track rider I know (he was a pro) told me that the best track crank is a Sugino Grand Mighty. Basic stuff. High quality square tapered forged aluminum. No nonsense. Cool.

gm1230126, yes, my collection is far from beeing complete. I will never reach that goal and perhaps I will start doing something completely different next week. I don´t know. There is no need/want list. The only cranks I need are the ones being used on the bikes. These are very important. The rest is just nice to have.

There are tons of cranks I would like to get. More track stuff (Sugino Grand Mighty, Campagnolo Record Pista, Suntour Superbe, Shimano 7600 and some day I have to get a baby blue Lasco), more BMX (Shimano DX or Hutch Aerospeed!) more vintage cranks (by the way: a vintage two piece crank is shown at my picture. It was patented 1903 so don´t think Bullseye, Grove or (!) Shimano invented two piece cranks) and I would like to have more vintage road cranks like Duprat.
You see, there is a lot of work to be done and I am just a normal working guy. (The lack of) money always is a important factor.

After all riding is more important than buying (and I don´t sell).

Back