Giant ATX830 - reborn as singlespeed with WWII bomber theme

hewey

Retro Newbie
Hello. I thought Id share some pics of my recent project. Retro bikes was one of the places I came across while researching singlespeed bike conversions, and I love some of the bikes on here. This is my old Giant Atx830 hardtail, this was my first 'proper' mountain bike I ever owned, and has been a faithful steed for over 10 years for me now (I got it new as a birthday present as a teenager). The idea was to simplify the bike and give it a cool retro vibe, but maintain its ride-ability. The look all along was inspired by WWII bombers, but as often happens with these projects ideas varied along the way! Oh yeh, it was built on a budget and it's my first bike build.

Before pics, pretty much a stock 830
30aug021.jpg

30aug022.jpg

Stripped her down to a frame
4sep002.jpg

hmmmm, bits
ratday032.jpg

Started to stip the frame, already got the forks primered
ratday029.jpg

Every self respecting bomber needs some nose art eh?
ratday030.jpg

Bars and stem in paint.
ratday001.jpg

Got the frame primed and painted (all in my hi-tech paint booth ;) )
painted001.jpg

Here it is getting reassembled. I got some old cream tyres off a mate, and loved the look of them. Unfortuneately on closer inspection they were badly cracked and not useable.
painted003.jpg

painted004.jpg

I bought a second hand Azonic shorty stem and Answer Pro Taper bars, after a bit of umming and arrrring, I decided to leave the stem black and colour match the bars. Slung on some Oury grips and the crank arms that were on it, and stole the black seat post and clamp off my Giant Yukon dually.

10Oct005.jpg

10Oct004.jpg

Hey, where'd that cable go? Threading the cable though was nowhere as hard as I thought it was going to be. Love that side view of the stem too.
10Oct003.jpg

Ahh, theres the cable
10Oct002.jpg

Clean
10Oct008.jpg

Ground off the teeth on the outer chainring for a smoother look, but thinking I might go to a single chainring. Clipless pedals are what I had on it before
10Oct009.jpg

The original plan called for stencilled 'Giant' text on the frame, but I really like the subtle and clean look of the frame. So Ive decided to just run the pin up girl sticker on the frame as some nose art.

Left side
11Oct003.jpg

Right side
11Oct005.jpg

I also made up some lamintaed spoke cards for the bike as well. These are a tongue in cheek nod to fixie/urban singlespeed culture, and also a good way of having some fun with the military theme. I went down to the local office supplies place and $5 and 20 minutes later I got some spoke cards.

The 'remove before flight' tag and the RAAF roundel are of course nods to the whole bomber theme. The pin up gal is my girlfreind, and is a reference to the pic of the gal back home that many pilots might have had in their cockpits back in WWII. The poppy with the text 'lest we forget' is a tribute to those who sacrificed everything, and a sobreing reminder of the cold reality of war.
11Oct001.jpg

The spoke cards are on the left side, to visually balance the bike, given that the drivetrain is one the right. A nice cooincidence is that it is preferable to wear your remberance day poppy on the left side of your chest so that its closest to your heart.
11Oct002.jpg

Spoke cards are double sided, cause I fgured it'd look silly from the right side with 4 blank white cards I also like how the 4 cards look balanced overall on the wheel.
11Oct004.jpg

Here it is finished

Complete007.jpg

Complete001.jpg

Complete005.jpg

Complete006.jpg

Complete003.jpg

Complete004.jpg

Some pics from its first decent ride

OlFaithful1.jpg

OlFaithful2.jpg

OlympicPark053.jpg

OlympicPark048.jpg

OlympicPark054.jpg

Great job :) , that look's far better than it did originaly :cool:

Never seen anyone drill a tube to feed a cable through before :shock: , dont think i'd have the bottle to do it, does look very clean though.

Cant help thinking it needs more for the Bomber theme though :? , maybe some stenciled serial numbers or some black camo stripes/patches ?

Thanks for the props :D

rockshark":1e3x6w9r said:
Little question, what cranks are those?

Shimano, year or two old, no idea what range though.

maybe some stenciled serial numbers or some black camo stripes/patches ?

That was my original plan, but after the frame came out so clean I left it as is. I may add it down the track if I ever get bored with it and want to change the look/update it.

Could do with some noseart too, where did you get it?

Nice looking project! I actually looked at some second hand bomber forks like yours and though they were perfect - the design of the brace matches the stem really well, and well the name is awesome! :LOL: I bought my nose art girls from a vendor at a hot rod show, but you can get them on ebay. This seller (below) does both vinyl and water transfer decals, and will do custom sizes on request (which is great when you're trying to find a suitable decal for a tube on a bike). Check out their other sales for the different designs they have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garters-Stockin...emQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3a56363e7b

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I appreciate what you've done, but I would personally add a few more authentic decals to the frame and ditch the cards in the spokes.

Otherwise, hats off to you for daring to be different.

cool bike, i dont like the cards. love the idea of stencils though. are those holes likely to cause cracks?

:shock:

Back