1993 Chas Roberts White Spider - by Chipko, Newbie + pics!

pete_mcc":2zu135hm said:
chipko":2zu135hm said:

Lovely bike that one! But do you know that your crown in on back to front? It should be bolt-heads facing forward!

You're right (he says, having just checked the fitting instructions). But the forks have been like that since the day Chas built it with no adverse effects, so I guess they'll stay that way ;)

Neil G":o77pa4j9 said:
Love it...British craftmanship at it's best!

Just out of interest how does it differ from the DB, is the angles or tubing used?

Roberts produced three MTB frames that I know of - the Genesis, White Spider and the DOGS BOLX. Only the DB had a mono-stay and was very stiff as a result (on mine, you can see the rear stays flex slightly with V-brakes - not something I saw with the original cantis). I think the WS and DB shared Columbus Max downtubes - ovalized at each end but at 90 degrees to each other. The Genesis was cheaper but all were fillet brazed, and I remember being measured for my frame, so it's not a 16"or 18" etc, it's a 'mine'. Angles could be tweaked a bit for comfort, stability, etc according to the customer's choice. All I know is I find my limits well before the bike's!

Tubing mixes varied with vintage - some may have had some Tange, others Reynolds, some Columbus - as the various new tubesets became available. But this is only what I can remember from my morning in the shop all those years ago - you'd have to ask a real expert - or the Man Himself!

the-fast-show_001745_1_mainpicture.1244121049.jpg

chipko":3m2vr5hm said:
Roberts produced three MTB frames that I know of - the Genesis, White Spider and the DOGS BOLX.

Don't forget the Stratos e-stay, he also built all manner of other models such as the Corbusier (a road going MTB). The White Spider was a much older model than the others, it was originally the top of the range bike, but as all of his models were true custom (except the genesis) tubing varied wildly according to the person buying and what they were buying it for and as Chipko says alot was down to what tubing was available. When the DB was introduced it was designed to be much more race oriented and the WS then became the more hardcore, rufty tufty bike.

pete_mcc":27web7j5 said:
chipko":27web7j5 said:
Roberts produced three MTB frames that I know of - the Genesis, White Spider and the DOGS BOLX.

Don't forget the Stratos e-stay, he also built all manner of other models such as the Corbusier (a road going MTB). The White Spider was a much older model than the others, it was originally the top of the range bike, but as all of his models were true custom (except the genesis) tubing varied wildly according to the person buying and what they were buying it for and as Chipko says alot was down to what tubing was available. When the DB was introduced it was designed to be much more race oriented and the WS then became the more hardcore, rufty tufty bike.

I'm not worthy ....

Back