Raleigh Royal - Hub help

Dogbreath

Dirt Disciple
Hi

Looking at my second project.

I bought a 531 reynolds 22" inch frame from ebay, t'was formally a Raleigh royal from the 1980's i guess. Wet painted a cherry type colour

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalo ... l83_06.jpg
http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalo ... l83_09.jpg

Bought some 630 (27 x 1.1/4) deep v rims, powder coated black

Now I'm starting to get it all together however getting stumped by the hubs for a wheel rebuild

Ideally I'm after black hubs (or get them stripped and painted!) however the OLD is 123mm (measured with a digital caliper), front is standard 100mm. I'm after hubs for a 7+ speed cassette to turn it into a town type bike & 32h

Any ideas where I can head for the hubs?

Cheers, yes slightly noob

The OLN should be 126mm.

However this will be a Royal pain in the future. I would suggest getting the frame cold set to 130mm and then you will be able to use any modern cassette hub.

It's dead easy. There's instructions on Sheldon Brown, or a framebuilder will do it for about a tenner.

Failing that, your dropouts will happily pinch out to 130mm whenever you put your back wheel in. Nothing will snap.

Of course, there is the possibility that it's older, and designed for an SA hub. Pictures would be a boon here.

Found a cure I think, going for the Shimano 105 rear hub in black, has a 130mm OLN, having checked the product manual there is part of the lock nut unit that I think I can take off the left side of the hub (item 12)...

http://www.premium-comfort.com/media/te ... 646668.pdf

I'll try the fitting and then have the wheels built I guess. Be good to get generic type gear on there.

Thankfully the 105 front hub looks perfect.

I want a flat handlebar type affair with twist gear lever/changer, any ideas on the dérailleur, cassette and gear lever combo?

Thoughts?

hamster":200jswsq said:
The OLN should be 126mm.
It wasn't uncommon in the eighties to see six-speeds set at unusual widths between 120 and 126mm - there wasn't the degree of standardisation that modern websites would seem to suggest. I had a few Raleighs that came with six-speed Maillard hubs and 122mm rear ends.

I agree that cold setting - wider or narrower - is a simple job. If it were my (town) bike I'd be tempted to put a hub gear in there, though the options in 32h aren't enormous. Then again, I'd have gone 36h and 700c...

Dogbreath":2p953oot said:
Found a cure I think, going for the Shimano 105 rear hub in black, has a 130mm OLN, having checked the product manual there is part of the lock nut unit that I think I can take off the left side of the hub (item 12)...
The problem with that approach is that the dish (lateral asymmetry) of the wheel becomes too extreme. You'll need to get the drive-side spokes tighter than is practical while the other side will be nearly slack, resulting in a weak wheel. You'd need to trim (or replace) the axle too, although that's no big deal.

You can also end up with the problem of the smallest sprocket eating the frame. I did once cut my locknuts in half (tricky job) to fit a narrow frame, but cold-setting is really the way. I use threaded rod, large washers and a couple of nuts. Clamp the rod in the middle to make sure you do each side evenly.

1 Sturmey Archer Aluminium Front Hub with 70 mm Drum Brake X-FD - 36 Hole

1 Ergon GR2-L Anatomic Grips Nexus / Rohloff - Large

1 Sturmey Archer Twistgrip-5 without Casing - TSS50 - TSS50 HP

1 Sturmey Archer 5 Speed Aluminium Hub with 70 mm Drum Brake with Gear Control X-RD5 - 36 Hole

Back