Aeronaut's DMR Trailstar

on my SS street/park/jumps bike, i found that running tensioners on the droputs was enough, as long as the chain line is ok you should be fine, i've never dropped a chain so long as i've had it. With regards to the disc, i think as long as you're sensible you should be ok, and maybe get a half link chain so that you can make reasonably fine adjustments to the chain length. That's what i'm running right now, and as i say, runs absolutely perfectly, nice tight chain so no chain slap and i've not dropped the chain once. Oh and that's on a QR rear axle! bit of a bodge but it works fine!

:D great looking bike...great choice of colour....thats just given me the inspiration to get on with my SS build......the silver bars and stem look good I might go down that route myself rather than the stealth black look

Very nice, needs a set of profiles on it though :D

Trailstars have a good rep. for handling well, how do you find it to ride?

Neil G":krcse20s said:
Very nice, needs a set of profiles on it though :D

Trailstars have a good rep. for handling well, how do you find it to ride?

Cheers matey! Well I did have these in mind at first... not profiles but very similar, now surplus to requirements. The turbines won in the end :)

DMRChieftain.jpg

Haven't yet ridden it, nor before the build so it'll be a new experience once done. Expecting a good ride tho ;) Feels nice and compact being a small frame so will hopefully fulfill my need for a no fuss, bmx like ride,.. something just as happy on the streets as well as on a dusty trail maybe.
As you say it does have a good reputation as a good all round frame and I haven't seen a bad word said against it, so should be dependable. Just itching to try it out now.

The headset should be arriving in the next day or two so will be nice having the front end attached. Next will be the anticipated building of the wheels.. something i'm strangely looking forward to

Those Chieftains do look a tad burlier than the 'standard' race Profiles. TBH if your not going to be giving it any serious trail/street useage the turbines will be fine on there.

I've got a Charge Duster which is pretty similar to the Trailstar geometry wise, does feel very lively...if I had flat pedals on it I'm sure it would tabletop nicely, maybe I'll try it someday :D

Have to get some new pics up as my Duster has changed a fair bit since then (new bars, stem flipped and 9 speed)...does go quite well and looks striong enough to get airborne.

Like to find an old Trailstar to build up for riding trails on as I've been riding BMX for over 10 years but I reckon the larger wheel size would make for a more forgiving ride now my reactions are slowing a bit!

just a couple of things since the last posts..

The headset is now in finally. Got a new post clamp to match too.

Also found the seatpost I was kinda looking for.
Had a silver Raceface XY in mind quite early on. Found this nos one last week in the size needed but in black. Was going to keep it that way but thought i'd maybe give it a polish. I see an XY in a pic somewhere on the web all polished and it looked just the ticket.
Must have taken me a good few hours just to pluck up the courage to make the first rub as I knew it would be ruined if it didn't work, but I did it and a couple hours later it was all done. The result is exactly what I was after and gives a nice uniform finish throughout.
Still feel a bit guilty doing it to a nos one though...but hey

Had to swap saddles with an SDG off my other bike as the Azonic one wouldn't fit due to the style of the rails. It'll probably stay put

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

Hi,

That bike is really great! I just love the paint job!
Although the black looks great, I think you have made the right choice to keep the components to the pure aluminum finish.

It is a great bike!

Cheers,

Aaldert

Paint job

Yeah thats nice, great finish. Love the colour.
I'll be on the phone to Dave Crowe before the weeks out for my Lava Dome.
10 mins from me. Magic!

Back