1993 Chas Roberts White Spider - by Chipko, Newbie + pics!

DOGS BOLX

It was certainly the DB that inspired this. I loved that mono-stay rear triangle. Advice from Chas at the time was that unless I wanted a bike solely for racing, a White Spider would be a more comfortable and controllable ride - and I have to say the WS is certainly that. I opted for a cleaner look with no mudguard or rack mountings though, and top tube cable mountings (down tube and under the BB was an option) inspired by the Yetis of the era. I asked for bottle cage mounts under the downtube for a Crud Catcher but Chas said 'no' on the grounds it might weaken the downtube. The lines certainly look cleaner without.

I think cartridge headsets and BBs had just come out but Chas built it up with Campagnolo which are still going strong. That reminds me, perhaps I ought to check there's still some grease in them ...

WS's inaugural ride was up and then down the Goat Track at Box Hill in Surrey, and it was absolutely brilliant!

Love it...British craftmanship at it's best!

Just out of interest how does it differ from the DB, is the angles or tubing used?

Second time having a look at this one; its stunning :cool:

Please hang around here and bring it along to a meet sometime!

Back