1993 Rockhopper Expert

street

Retro Guru
Hi gang, this is my first retro MTB, a '93 Rockhopper Expert that I picked up as a frame and forks off Ebay, bieng sold by the origional owner and forum member Johnrock :D
Although it was sold as a frame and fork, I ended up buying a lot of the origional components off it in seperate auctions and out of Ebay from the seller, so it's pretty much back together again how it used to be!

(I oppologise in advance for the pic quality!)

The frame was a little dented, dirty and scratched, but i've cleaned it up and gave it some love:

apr13014.jpg

apr13013.jpg

Suntour XC Expert cantis front and back:

apr13012-1.jpg

The front has a wierd Suntour toggle thing that works pretty good actually!

apr13008.jpg

Chainset is only temporary- An old SR one that I drilled out to get the weight down a bit, and fitted with a profile 50T ring and purple chainring bolts. Also fitted with the pedals everyone loves to hate, Oddysey tripple traps! I really like these pedals, they were only £2 off Ebay aswell so I cant complain :LOL: also has a NOS XT BB that i've had kicking around since about '94 :

apr13011.jpg

Just on there until I sort out some chainrings for the origional Suntour XC Expert cranks:

apr13007.jpg

apr13003-1.jpg

XC Expert rear mech (appaling pic!)

apr13006.jpg

An unknown vintage Ritchey stem on an Oddysey quill converter. You can also see the drilled out XC Expert brake levers. Using a Shimano 105 headset at the mo but soon to be replaced:

apr13010.jpg

Deore thumbies and cheapo alloy bars, soon to be replaced:

apr13009.jpg

And thats it really! Its a real budget build so its not as flash as some of the machinery on here, but I love it! I've been riding it every day and it always puts a smile on my face. It rides really nice!

Its not finished yet, got some bits to do like trim down that stem converter, find a decent seat and bars, fir the new chainset and mech etc. Theres not a lot of money in it, i've been picking stuff up cheap for it- the pedals were £2, the Ritchey stem £3, the brake levers £2.50, the kevlar Onza porc 2's were only £12 the pair off Ebay, boxed and brand new!
Finding stuff for it is all part of the fun for me!

Thanks for looking :D

looks good ... :D

Thats an old school Stumpy, my Rockhopper and now this one in quick succession, late 80's early 90's spesh's are way cool ...

I nearly bought that bike (originally - not off JohnRock :) ) but decided on the green Rockhopper comp frame instead back in Sept 1993.

Nice bike.

:)

Arrrrrrr.
That has given me great satisfaction looking at the restoration job you've done on my old Rockhopper..just glad Ive still got one!
That bike was my pride and joy owned from new.Bought from Howes Cycles in Cambridge in 93' with the insurance money I had from the Kona Hahanna that I had nicked!I had to buy this bike even though a friend of a friend was selling an Alpine Stars Almega white with DX grouset because my Mum questioned the receipt the kid had for the bike.
I made the right choice!
Its warms my heart to know its ridden and well loved and looked after! :LOL:
Excellent job!
:cool: J

Cheers Johnrock :D
Yep I assure you she's in good hands, gets enjoyed and pampered regularly, lots of singletrack thrashing and basically doing what it was designed to do! I'm really pleased with it :p

Back