1993 Chas Roberts White Spider - by Chipko, Newbie + pics!

chipko

Dirt Disciple
Frame: 1993 Roberts White Spider. Columbus Max downtube etc in white powdercoat (original)

Fork: 1993 Pace RC-35 Atmosphere Balanced with Stage 2 Ti upgrade (original – one change of elastomer from new). Chas Roberts custom built 1” steerer

Headset: Campagnolo 1” (original)
Stem: Synchros with Ti bolts (original)
Handlebar: Azonics Taperlite 5o bend (replaced original Answer Hyperlite 3o)
Grips: Bontrager (original)
Barends: Specialized Dirt Rodz (original)

Brakes: XTR 199*
Brake Pads: XTR 199*
Brake Cables: Shimano STI
Cantilever cable hangers: Roberts
Brake Levers: XT 199* (replaced original Dia-Compe SS)

Shifters: XT STI 199* (replaced original XT thumbshifters)
Front Derailleur: XT 1993 top pull (original) 26.8 mm
Rear Derailleur: XT 1993 short cage (original)
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XT STI, stainless XTR inners
Cassette: Shimano XT 8 speed (replaced XT 7 speed in 199* or thereabouts)
Chain: Sachs 8 speed stainless
Cranks: 1993 Shimano XT (original)
Crank Bolts: Synchros Crank-O-Matic self-extracting, oil-filled (original)
Chainrings: 1993 Shimano XT with Pace granny ring (original)
Chainring bolts: 1993 Shimano XT (original)
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo (original)
Pedals: Shimano SPD 2006/7 (replaced orginal Tioga Surefoot with clips and straps, via Onzas, then Ritcheys)

Hub Skewers: Hope Ti silver (replaced Ringlé, red anodised)
Rims: Mavic 231/217 *
Hubs: Hope front (oversize, original) and rear 8-speed (199*)
Nipples: DT Swiss (199*)
Spokes: DT Swiss (199*)
Tyres: Continental Cross Country 26 x 1.5” with Kevlar bead (original)
Tubes: Latex, 2006. Schrader valves

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Transalp Titanium (original)
Seatpost: Ritchey (original)
Seatpost Binder: Stainless (Chas Roberts)

Weight: 24 lbs -ish

199* = I went to 8 speed some time in 1994/5/6, replacing Dia-Compe brake levers, XT cantilevers and XT thumbshifters with XT STI and XTR V-brakes, and replacing the rear XT hub with a Hope cassette hub.

See page 2 for close-ups.

Chipko's Roberts White Spider

Sorry, should have said these photos were all taken today! :oops:

Oof! Super-clean! Roberts has a strong following here - there'll be some more admiring Brit-ophiles along shortly. I take it it's a rider with the V-brakes? If just an occasional one, I'd look to return it to cantis. Other than that - nice! :cool:

Super clean

It's a rider ... but I'm ashamed to say, not often enough these days (where's the 'fatty' smiley?)

Spent all this morning on cleaning it and photographed it from the side without the stone chips and the scratched decals from a missus-shed-brake levers-top tube interface :roll: How's this for detail: even the polish I used is the same vintage as the bike!!!!!

The original XT cantis and 7-speed rear wheel are on my Dad's Roberts Rough Stuff. As I passed on the XT thumbies to a Dave Yates Cat's Wiskas restorer some years back I've no plans to quit v-brakes - on the upside, no plans to go disc, either.

The v-brakes are pre '97 though.

Re: Super clean

chipko":3nvkkayx said:
It's a rider ... but I'm ashamed to say, not often enough these days (where's the 'fatty' smiley?)

The v-brakes are pre '97 though.

Good to know that it's still in use!

A waste of that canti stop though. Be prepared to be gradually beaten into submission on that score! ;)

ooooooooooooooooooooooof thats nice,one day id like one of these,remember loretz's dogsbolx from mbuk decades ago and have wanted a roberts of some kind since

oh,n welcome :D

Welcome to Retrobike, that's quite an introduction. A lovely bike. Ignore Courduroy Boy, if it's being ridden there's nowt wrong with Vs. If the canti hanger is irking you then you can always just hack it off.

Don't cut the hanger off

Latest posts

Back