Hypothetical Road Bike Purchase... Edit, now bought!

Trek 1.7 not a bad machine but a bit dearer around £900, decent and upgradable though with 105 and Bontranger finishing kit.

Hypothetical road bike purchase.

Why spend large amounts of money to own something on the I WANT IT NOW BASIS.Oh and there is now't wrong with Xenon.If you choose your ratios well a 9 with a triple will give a very good spread on the middle ring and not have big gaps leaving the inner and big ring to cover the extremes upper & lower as required.I have an immaculate 2000/2001 Bianchi Gold Race 600 Reparto Corse bought off E'bay in June this year(2009) for £200.00.It is set up with a 52:42:28 on a 13:14:15:16:17:19:21:23:26 on Xenon with 140mm Cranks & Stronglight Rings.That gives me a high of 106 gear inches and a low of 28.54 on 700cx23 wheel/tyre combination.The slightly shorter crank length is the equivalent of two teeth higher on the chainrings which in turn gives approx' 3 inch higher on the road,the usable middle ring ranges from 42ish to 86ish.BE PATIENT,ROUTE OUT A BARGAIN.Happy & Safe Riding to you All.

Attachments

• Rooster Resize 7.jpg
    Rooster Resize 7.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 480
Well an update to this thread...

I have gone and sourced and secured a retro roadbike... Late 90s, very very lovely.

Will collect it in the new year so details then ;)

Well, forget new, I couldnt part with 800 sobs for xenon/sora/tiagra/or bike shop own brand, so I did what any self respecting retrobiker should...

I now own a retro, but amazingly amazing italian steel roadbike, with full 8 sp Campagnolo Record Ti (seatpost too), campagnolo rims and other assorted nice bits.

Pics to follow...

Happy Fingers. :cool:

Back