J.A Holland; the search for spock.

Spibblo

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
There's more... not had a massive response. Check out the pictures I finally got around to posting. Any Idea what age it might be, it says something like 5*1 tubing could be 501 or 531 the transfers are so faded. is it worth reviving or should I put it back in the skip. it's 5 speed.

Attachments

• SNV35078.JPG
    SNV35078.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 2,464
  • SNV35079.JPG
    SNV35079.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 2,463
  • SNV35080.JPG
    SNV35080.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,460
  • SNV35084.JPG
    SNV35084.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,463
Nice! Will cost a bit to sort though.

It's 531; 501 didn't exist when that was made.

Don't skip it. I'll pay for postage if you're going to dump it. Not that I really want it, but it's too nice to dump.

I'd say late 1950s. I don't know the brand, but that looks like a very high quality bike of its time. It's 531 as Chris says, and those cranks are Chater Lea - the best British-made cranks available at the time.

Don't put it back in the skip. It'll make the right owner very happy.

Here's some more information on the Holland family, dredged up from Google. J A Holland is John Arthur:

W. Holland flourished 1927-1931. He was secretary of the West Bromwich Section of the Birmingham and Midland District Association of the CTC [Cyclists' Touring Club], and of the Old Meeting Cycle Club. William Arthur Holland (b.1947) tells us that the papers relate to his grandfather William Charles Holland, who had three children, William Charles junior, killed in the second world war, John Arthur, WAH's father, and a daughter, Violet. References to Will Junior and W C Jnr both relate to the son who was killed in the second world war. W C Holland senior moved from 122 Old Meeting Street to 106 Old Meeting Street during the 1940s where he continued to trading as a cycle manufacturer and dealer until his death in 1946. John Arthur took over the business at 106 and continued to produce and sell bicycles he had made both from the shop and through other cycle retailers around Birmingham until 1969. These cycles were branded as "J A Holland", "Cambrian" and "The Star".

Brilliant! thanks alot for the information, I could'nt find much on J.A.Holland. I wasn't going to put it in the skip really, it's just that's where it was heading. I saw the fancy lugwork and the brooks saddle and the west bromwich connection and thought it might be of interest. I will probably restore it when I've finished the muddyfox project currently underway. It will need repainting which means It will lose it's transfers, can they be remade based on what's already there?
Thanks again.

That is a very nice example of a rare machine. You will not be able to get replacement transfers, though there is a chance you can persuade
http://www.hlloydcycles.com
to make some for you. It would need your supplying very accurate photos to work from - and a fair bit of cash! In the circumstances it might be better to leave the frame as it is in "unrestored" condition.

Get to work re-chroming the chainset (a classic and probably £100's worth on ebay) and polish up that stem, which looks early 50s to me.

Very nice project. Enjoy.

I was bought up in the shop where that bike was made, post the frame number and I'll tell you the month and year of manufacture.
My mother might still have some of the transfers for it, and although she wont part with them, I may be able to get photocopy for you to have some made.

Would be interesting to see if Sibblo has made any progress on this project.

Bill-H":1xi3d7pq said:
I was bought up in the shop where that bike was made, post the frame number and I'll tell you the month and year of manufacture.
My mother might still have some of the transfers for it, and although she wont part with them, I may be able to get photocopy for you to have some made.

Very interesting Bill, was JA Holland your father?

Stunning looking bike. Hope the project did go somewhere; even as a part-resto it would still make a beautiful ride.

Latest posts

Back