1992 Rocky Mountain Stratos

rutteger

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Dyna-Tech Fan
Just picked up my latest ride at the weekend. It's a 1992 (ish) Rocky Mountain Stratos. The bike has full 7 speed XT with DX hubs. As you can see the bike is in pretty original condition, I even have a copy of the sign off sheet from the factory and the receipt of sale.

Took the bike out for a couple of hours on Sunday - that explains any mud or dirt you see :D

If anyone has a Rocky stem similar to that pictured give me a shout - the original has corroded slightly.

Attachments

• Resize of IMGP3304.JPG
    Resize of IMGP3304.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 6,937
  • Rotation of Resize of IMGP3305.JPG
    Rotation of Resize of IMGP3305.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 6,934
  • Rotation of Resize of IMGP3308.JPG
    Rotation of Resize of IMGP3308.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 6,934
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 6,934
  • Resize of IMGP3296.JPG
    Resize of IMGP3296.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 6,935
Nice find!! :D
Glad to hear you have ridden it already.

Stratos is a pretty strong bike from what I recall. The 90 or 91 model is a different colour, can't remember what, but not orange (blue?). Not much help I'm afraid.
I think the cam brake/shifters may help date - I remember these being quite distinctive.

XT got Rapidfire Plus in '92, so if yours is the older push/push Rapidfire I'd say it's a '91.

That's assuming RM used '92 componentry on '92 bikes though!

Elevated":a147ertk said:
XT got Rapidfire Plus in '92, so if yours is the older push/push Rapidfire I'd say it's a '91.

That's assuming RM used '92 componentry on '92 bikes though!

I'm guessing a bit on the year. I was sold it as a 1993. Looking in the 93 Rocky catalogue the decals don't match (blue vs orange). It's not a 1990 or 1991 because both had down tube routed cables. So 1992 I guess by default.

As for XT going RF plus is 1992 I didn't think it was so early.

Edited to say I stand corrected. XT did indeed go RF plus (push:pull) in 1992. I believe push:push STI was still an offered though.

RMmm

Very nice indeed, very thoughtful of the Canadians to include rack mounts eh?

May have fragemts of 1992 catalouge somewhere as a friend was riding a RM Hammer (the bottom of the range steel one, red with a wishbone) at that time.

Managed to verify that it is indeed a 1992 frame. The spec (as can be seen from the catalogue scan below) is pretty non standard. The bike is sporting mostly 1992 XT rather than the DX expected. Waiting to hear back from the original owner what the story is....

Attachments

• Stratos92Geo2.jpg
    Stratos92Geo2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 6,835
  • Stratos92.jpg
    Stratos92.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 6,835
It pains me slightly but I may have to move this on.

If anyone is interested on here give me a shout.

almost certain it was 91, used to be the rocky dealer then and remember selling these babies......tell me your not selling it already!!!

welly":1bgof38c said:
almost certain it was 91, used to be the rocky dealer then and remember selling these babies......tell me your not selling it already!!!

Thinking about it. I'm never going to ride it again, probably better to spend the cash on stuff I'll use !

Back