1993 KHS Montana Pro fz SS Drop Monster

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So I received this rather nice frame in trade from RockiMtn recently and my long term plan is for a neon re-paint built up with black LX/XT kit. But being an impatient sort I decided that I could probably throw together a nice single speed commuter/snow bike without actually having to spend any money.

Once I decided on the build I just had to find a few hours to throw it together, I'm really pleased with the result:

Frame: 1993 KHS Montana Pro fz 19"
Fork: no-name steel rigid 15.5" a-c
Front wheel: Araya RM25 bronze anodized on Suzue high-flange hub
Rear wheel: Sun CR17 bronze anodized on 8spd black LX Parallax hub
Cranks: no-name road 130bcd with 39t ring
Tensioner: Axiom Singleator knock-off
Seat; Selle Italia C2 Trans-Am
Seat QR: Salsa Flip-off
Brakes: mismatched silver/black M730 XT cantilevers with 105 road levers, Mojo knock-off hangers
Bars: Ora road drops
Stem: no-name 1" high rise
Headset: Tange Levin 1"
BB: no-name cartridge bearing square-taper 110mm
Tires: Joe Murray Maximum/Reaction matched front and rear set

CrossMonstersideshadow.jpg

CrossMonsterfrontshadow.jpg

Me too, fantastic looking bike. Thought of doing something similar with my old cannondale. We'll see. Anyway, very nice.

wow, that is kewl as f*ck for a "this, that and then some" parts build! and quick as sh*t too! Looks awesome!

glad it went to a good home and quickly put to use! ;)

RockiMtn":3t4v9gb8 said:
wow, that is kewl as f*ck for a "this, that and then some" parts build! and quick as sh*t too! Looks awesome!

glad it went to a good home and quickly put to use! ;)

Well, I feel really lucky that it was in my size and close-by, as I told you it's a frame I've always wanted. I really think KHS made a mistake by using the 'Montana' name across their range, because even their bottom-of-the-range 100GS equipped, 35lb anchors were called Montanas I think it may have put people off the higher-end bikes which are actually very nicely built and super-light for steel. According to Bikepedia this bike was sub 23lbs stock!

mechagouki":p25ymxbn said:
Well, I feel really lucky that it was in my size and close-by, as I told you it's a frame I've always wanted. I really think KHS made a mistake by using the 'Montana' name across their range, because even their bottom-of-the-range 100GS equipped, 35lb anchors were called Montanas I think it may have put people off the higher-end bikes which are actually very nicely built and super-light for steel. According to Bikepedia this bike was sub 23lbs stock!

Don't forgot I still have that 1" Manitou 3 fork ya, or what I believe is a proper Montana Pro rigid fork. ;)

Back