1991 Alpinestars Al Mega DX

jasoncgh

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

I came across this interesting forum and have decided to retrieve a 1991 Alpinestars Al Mega DX from my dad's storeroom. It belongs to my brother and is currently in a woeful condition.

The stem is broken and that's why it has been relegated to the storeroom for the last decade or more.

I am thinking of restoring it and first thing would be to replace the broken stem(i think it is 1 1/4 inch fork type).

Anyone can give me some suggestions?

I search the forum/web and think that a Nitto MT Column might work????

Anyone can help? Thanks

For the rest of the image, you can view them at

Here is a picture of the bike.

4206326826_4dbdb0d69b.jpg

The rest of the pictures can be found at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18828670@N03/sets/72157623050166868/

Nice bike that! An Alpinestars is defo on my list of bikes I'd like to have a tinker with. :cool:

You should defo be able to find a suitable stem on here or be directed to one. A 1 1/8th Orange stem went only a few days ago and would have fit. Plenty of AS experts and fans on here so I'm sure they'll be along in a min. ;)

Be prepared to be told your bike will split in half any minute though!! :roll: :LOL:

Welcome!

Another Alpinestars fan to add to the list then! I've got a few in the garage, and on the project list, so if you wany any help give me a shout.

Yeah the stem's are definitely 1-1/4" which makes them less easy to track down (as well as headsets and forks, but that's all part of the fun.

look forward to seeing this one built up.
Steve

welcome ,nice bike
an alternative can be a quill shim
or a quill to ahead convertor
my lbs had NOS kalloy stems in a couple of years ago, i bought one
should have bought the rest

idea ,see if he's still got them

will report back tomorrow :LOL:

Looks like you've got a nice example there. Very original and i'm sure a lot brighter in the flesh.

Stems aren't too much of an issue, as above SJS can sort you out (but make sure you buy the ones that fit the strange diameter bars astars supplied or you'll need bars too) or put a wanted ad on the forum. Have a look through the scans section too as the 1991 catalogue is there for reference.

As for snapping, afraid it's true. There aren't many al-megas about today, they have issues with failing around the head tube (hence the gusset in 1992) and between the bottom bracket and the elevated chainstay on the seat tube. It's a real shame as they are stunning bikes, not meaning to put you off or anything, but best to warn you.

sinnett177":nrqlrhu6 said:
make sure you buy the ones that fit the strange diameter bars astars supplied or you'll need bars too

Wise words indeed, and something I'd completely forgotten about. Ahh poo!! lol. Might have to rethink my new stem/bar set-up on one of my projects :(

I agree, too, it looks like a very good clean example, and if you've been put off, let me know and I'll have it off you!! lol :LOL: :roll:

anyone know how the al-mega frame changed over the (few) years
see a lot like jasons with the triangular drop out ,mines more like a fork
drop out
is this earlier ?
need more Astars on here :LOL:

Back