Marin team Ti build, Need help

The Scientist

Retro Newbie
I need some help.
I have just sold all my mountain bikes as I have gone over to the dark side and decided to road race this year however, I still have an old 1991 Marin Team Titanium with Grafton brakes, Bullseye hubs and a rather industrial looking Ringle Trial stem that will make a great retro bike. My problem is what fork to get to compliment this build as the Answer Accutrax are long gone. All I can think of is a Pace rc31 but this will mean ditching the Ringle stem as it is a pre a-head quill.
Any suggestions??

hi, nice bike!!

Was this the polished/burnished finish year? Can't remember.
Sometimes see some RC30 steel forks that would go quite nicely.

original marin tis (is your a litespeed built? 2 holes in the dropout?) caem with a marin rockstar fork. These are essentially a ritchey copy, which should be easy enough to track down :) the ringle trail stem is v.rare these days, deffo keep the quill fork so u can keep the stem :)
coming to the cannock retro meet? sounds like a v.nice bike :)

post pics when finished :D

The bike is a polished Litespeed built Marin I have some photos I can attach as soon as I find out how. I also had some bullseye 2 piece cranks but I cant find them, however they never did work that well the non drive side never held onto the spilned bottom bracket and constantly worked its self loose. Steel forks it is then.

When is the cannock meet?

Marin ti

Sounds like an awesome bike. From memory I think the forks should be (ahem) flouro pink for full period correctness :cool: :?: Should be able to dig out some pics from early MBUKs / MBI as a guide.

Is the ringle stem you refer to the one with the holes dilled in it with a roller inside for the cable (have memories of seeing one at a bike show in '91 but was never sure if it was a production item or not)

yeh, ringle trail stem was a production item for a short period of time (& yeh the holy one!)
pink forks?! I dont think so ;)

The rc31's will be too long for the frame, they only make them in 440mm length and special order 420mm versions but I would think these would still be too long. RC30's would be the ideal length (395mm) I would think, as would the Ti P2's in the classifieds :D or a older set of steel P2's would be fine as well.
Other options are to go custom with someone like Kelly or vicious cycles.

Back