Doc's Serotta MAX 853

DocBraunson

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Here is my Dream build XC bike that i managed to put together while on unemployment! Bought frame on EBAY as NOS before i got layed off. IT took me only 2 months to build and i thought i was taking it SLOW... well here it is:

Frame: 2000 Serotta MAX-853 19"

Fork: 2006 FOX F100 RLC

Headset: Chris King in BLUE
Stem: Thomson X4 100mm 0 deg rise
Handlebar: Specialized S-works Carbon OS
Grips: White OURY

Brakes: XTR 952 Vees/ Avid BB7 front for winter
Brake Pads: XTR
Brake Levers: XTR 950
Cables/housing: XTR

Shifters: LX 9-speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR 952
Cables/Housing: SRAM Flak Jacket

Cassette: XTR 960 11-34t
Chain: Shimano 9-speed
Cranks: RaceFace Turbines pewter ISIS
Crank Bolts: FSA
Chainrings: RaceFace Team
Chainring bolts: RaceFace
Bottom Bracket: FSA Titanium Pro ISIS
Pedals: Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium

Winter set-up
Hub Skewers: Salsa Titanium
Rims: Mavic Cross Ride
Hubs: Mavic Cross Ride
Tyres: Michelin Wildgripper 2.1/1.95
Tubes: Michelin Airsop

Summer/light weight
Hub Skewers: Salsa Titanium
Rims: FIR / Mavic 517
Hubs: Hope Ti / Shimano XT
Tyres: Continental Speed King Supersonic 2.1
Tubes: Michelin Airsop

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite white Ti
Seatpost: Thompson 27.2 x 330 with Ti bolt kit
Seatpost Binder: Salsa Blue

Weight: not super light but all my others are Single speeds to it is hard to compare ANY GUESSES TO WHAT THIS SHOULD WEIGH? i will get it weighed in the next couple days. I know that when i had the summer wheel set-up it was significantly lighter!

Attachments

• IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2,902
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2,900
  • IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,901
what yall think about the PINK headset?. i have a blue one on the way but something about the pink.... think i am selling my explosif frame tonight hopefully the guy brings cash and helps fund the fork for this bad boy!

doc

DocBraunson":zll72zyn said:
what yall think about the PINK headset?. i have a blue one on the way but something about the pink.... think i am selling my explosif frame tonight hopefully the guy brings cash and helps fund the fork for this bad boy!

doc

even if it is a light and translucid pink, not sure about the "marriage" :?
would it be the only pink item ?
as mentionned by a retrobiker these frames (as beautiful women) don't really need flashy "jewels" or lot of make up ;)

"understatement" is the way to go :cool:

me I am going for the silver on mine ;)

A red bike can look a bit gay if you're not careful. No pink. No green tyres (the amber walls are tasteful though). It's beautiful enough already, give it respect. Give it black. Maybe a saddle with red rear quarters, like a WTB. Maybe red grips if the bars and stem are black. But plenty of black.

I commented on your 100mm issue in your other thread. A silver/grey fork, huh? Maybe the parts should be silver then, instead of black. But not pink. Pink is for a black frame IMO.

The top tube is too high for my tastes, but it's definitely a fine-looking bike.

Nice.

I agree with Anthony, please be very careful with colour matching. It is a beautiful frame so do it justice.

yeah i went ahead and got a blue Chris king headset too. the pink one i determined was for a black build in the future so i'm right there with you. the Fork i am think of getting is the white Fox 32 f100 (as per the help from said thread) so it might be hard to pull off a subdued look. i think that i am going to go for a bit of color but tasteful, well at least to me. when it is all said and done you should give me a final score. i was comparing the geometry to that of my kilauea and yeah the top tube is super HIGH compared to that KONA geometry. I am still getting into Biking in general. I know i love learning about them and building them but i have alot to learn about my likes and dislikes as to geometry and setups. I rode the Kilauea nice and hard last weekend and loved it so hopefully i can get this one up and running so that i can compare. thanks for the input guys.

DOC

i am one proper seatpost away from getting her rolling... i obviously want a Syncros Ti post but they are rare if not unaffordable. might be trying for a silver Thomson. here are some teasers to hold you over. ps i rode on the Wildgrippers last week and they were phenomenal! seems lots hate them on here but me and the guys in my group noticed how much more traction i was getting than them. cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2222.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,043
  • IMG_2225.jpg
    IMG_2225.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 3,043
Back