And today I did......

Mahoosive xmas shopping spree in Glesca :roll: ....completely unencumbered by progeny :D Spent a large amount of my Retrobike allowance on electronics (not something I usually do, but this year merited such extravagence.

Then treated myself to a haircut and some beer - the night is young yet and trere seem to be lots of young women teetering around in very little fabric, given the weather :cool:

Sweet Fanny Adams (ahhhh I remember her well, sigh) Gifts are all for other folk :roll: Although i suppose i have a share in the new telly :p

PS - Tescos Silverburn - Drambuie #20 a bottle, or #25 for two - go figure ;) (bloomin' other people's keyboards :roll: )

Had a few hours out on the Cotic in the snow. I decided to ride around the outskirts of town again and but this time search out some of Morpeths history. Along my route I visited an abandoned Lunatic Asylum and Victorian Hospital- very grand and not a bit of vandalism to be seen???, I then followed the trees that marked the old race course finding two concrete WW2 pill boxes along the way, past the hole in the ground where a Heinkel H111 bomber crashed in 1941(all crew survived), along the river to the Ruined Abbey, along to Mitford Castle where I climbed up the banking, over the wall and into what is left of the dungeons. I then headed back along the other side of the river through Scots Ghyl Woods and up to the site of the Polish Camp that was built to house the refugees after the war- very little left apart from some strange looking flats. These were converted into dwellings from the containment unit of the Polish hospital but was originally a grandstand for an old 1800's running track- imagine a granstand with the front bricked up. Last on my mini tour was a ride around what is left of RAF Morpeth. Now just the odd patch of crumbling concrete amongst the trees with a larger stretch out in the fields. Local rumours abound that this place has some serious hauntings going on- it was a training base and sadly many young pilots lost their lives there whilst the RAF rushed them through training to make up for the shortfall in pilots.
Quite an interesting way to spend a few hours and burn off a little pre christmas excess. Trails were frozen solid so no mudfest for once too.

Si

Know kaiser decreed a ban on chat but wtf great report si your town is steeped in history, my place is steeped in something else :LOL:

Great report Si, alas I spent the morning looking out the window thinking 'great biking weather'... Crisp and clear, although with a biting north wind. Discovered one of the spokes on the Hardrock has come away from the hub. Bah!

Went in to Edinburgh in the afternoon with daughter to see 'Corstorphine Road Nativity' at the Festival Theatre. Had a bit of an Edmund Hilary moment battling the wind and driving snow, but we made it the five minute walk from the car park to the theatre :D

Had a nice curry, then conked out on the sofa for an hour and now need to get off my arse and swap out the Hardrock's knack'd rear wheel. Just in case I can get out tomorrow.

well i was at work today running a job (so just watching) but i feel loads better .

apart from that i've just sat about holding my z1's with hub and discs smiling :D

Its a very interesting place. It was the site of the first Jacobean Rising and was sacked and burned by King John of England in the 11th century- his army camped in the woods behind my house before raising the town and Abbey.
Notables include Nelson's friend and second in command Admiral Collingwood who lived just along the river from where I sit and suffragette Emily Davidson who threw herself under the Kings horse at the Epsom Derby- she rests in the churchyard on the hill behind me. Add to that a town hall by Vanburgh and the bridge by Thomas Telford and it stacks up as quite an interesting little town. Only has around a thousand residents too and I can leave any of my bikes outside a shop and it'll still be there when I return. I love it.

Back