Show us (your) 80's mountain bikes !

Nearly all of my bikes from the the 80s. Here is an early Potts.

blue-potts-1.jpg

How old are we? BP? Others? Are these bikes we rode BiTD or perhaps more those influential 'big brother' bikes?? I'm in my 50th year, so it's interesting that as my knowledge of the history of the sport grows, the elder my bike interest becomes, beyond the point of 'my first MTB'... Initially, I felt a bit fraudulent about that - but maybe this is the natural path towards a (shudder) 'collection'... :roll: ;)

Mr K

Attachments

• Diamond Back Apex.jpg
    Diamond Back Apex.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 14,774
  • Ritchey Ascent.jpg
    Ritchey Ascent.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 14,774
  • Overburys Pioneer.jpg
    Overburys Pioneer.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 14,774
  • MSR CR1.jpg
    MSR CR1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 14,773
I got my first mountain bike in 1984 or so, but my first bike was a crapwagon. I was doing much more riding on a Nishiki International. My first decent mountain bike was 86/7. It was a Tange framed bike with Deore parts. Not fantastic, but decent. I was riding a Colnago Sport road bike. After that bike, I've devoted myself to really nice bikes. I dig the craftsmanship and the idea of something that is relatively simply can be so refined.

I will follow your leads and say the same 46 yo. The silver DB above was my first MTB. Didn't take long to break it and everything on it. upgraded to a couple of mass produced rides. Slowly upgraded over the years from there. Now I find myself more interested in the early to mid 80's rides. Starting with klunkers, I personally start to loose interest when front suspension arrives on the scene. That said, I am not against using suspension on a rider and I am sure someday I will eat my words and seek a suspended bike to collect.

This photo is from the '80s but I still have the bike, an '83 Ritchey Annapurna. The photo is from a 1985 tour in Canada's Northwest Territories on a road that had been abandoned for 40 years.

antlerbike.jpg

Repack Rider":25li1asi said:
This photo is from the '80s but I still have the bike, an '83 Ritchey Annapurna. The photo is from a 1985 tour in Canada's Northwest Territories on a road that had been abandoned for 40 years.

CK FTW

mechagouki":eto0z99p said:

Sometimes it feels like unfair sandbagging when I post stuff like that. I have bikes that I bought new before half the forum was born and I literally have a several large rooms filled with magazines, file cabinets and boxes of photos.

OTOH, I've already seen these photos, and if I don't find reasons to post them here, no one sees them. The internet and especially retrobike and that American site have resurrected a lot of my photos that even I hadn't seen for decades.

Any requests?

Repack Rider":bthjor9j said:
mechagouki":bthjor9j said:

Sometimes it feels like unfair sandbagging when I post stuff like that. I have bikes that I bought new before half the forum was born and I literally have a several large rooms filled with magazines, file cabinets and boxes of photos.

OTOH, I've already seen these photos, and if I don't find reasons to post them here, no one sees them. The internet and especially retrobike and that American site have resurrected a lot of my photos that even I hadn't seen for decades.

Any requests?

yup anything you think interesting ,love the history lessons

88/89 (you decide) Explosif. :)

3948681092_2d49aa4d42_b.jpg

A few changes (well, tyres, straddle hangers & original type grips)

4159667993_14af6c56b4_b.jpg

4159782491_11a3d37735_b.jpg

Back