The retro Hi Fi thread..

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Just noticed the 'other retro stuff' thread and noticed there are quite a few people with oldy world hi-fi.

Having been a member of the big collar and flares hi-fi club, thought a dedicated thread was in order.

I currently have a few old amps, though not all being used at the mo.. Quad 33 and 3x Quad 303's, and some Meridian 103/105 Pre/power amps.

Nice stuff, and sounds good too..

Ran the 303s with a TagMaclaren AV32 until they went bust and picked up a matching power amp. Worked nicely, though not very wife friendly colour :?

Never tried the Quad ESL's .. though there may be a set on the site too..

Oh, and I have never yet found a set of speakers under £2k with sound to rival my parents Heybrook HB3's. Awesome.

So, what you got? Still in use? Would like to see!!

LoFi

Yep, was flirting with old school hifi before I ran into Retrobike as I have a ruck of vinyl... s'funny we all seem to gravitate to the same things! If I remember rightly I have knocking around some Linn 240s x 4; Aktiv speakers; Origin Live deck; Kelvin Labs mono blocks; several Naim amps and preamps; Audio Alchemy and TEAC VRDS CD players; a Moth preamp, 2 x monoblocks; speakers by Ruark and by Spendor. On the old school home DJ front we have a pair of 1210s in a coffin and a Pioneer mixer - powered by a Peavey 1200, with some f**k off Peavey bins. Probably best sell some of this really...

Neil

PS Often tempted by 70s B & O stuff too - even though technically it's poor it looks damn fine!

Just the stuff in the other thread, plus 2 other Goldring Lenco turntables and the bits to refurbish them. Will get round to that next winter and get them on eBay.

Agree with mrkawasaki, the B & O stuff looked good. Luckily any time I had the money to buy it common sense prevailed and I bought ugly stuff that sounded good. :D

This site has stopped me increasing my hi-fi (can be seen on the other thread) Either my small pay goes on Trimbles or looking for Albarry mono blocks 408's and a new pair of Magneplanner panel speakers. No guesses which i picked :D

Does anyone else remember that '80's film Ruthless people with Danny DeVito and Bette Midler.

That guy in the HiFi shop selling speakers so big "that when you die you can be buried in them"

Attachments

• ruthless%20people.jpg
    ruthless%20people.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,920
Re: LoFi

mrkawasaki":274vqg40 said:
s'funny we all seem to gravitate to the same things!

Exactly, maybe we all need to straighten up and fly right ;)

Anyhow I also have some retro hi-fi, have a set of quad esl driven by a quad 303 power amp. Have the matching quad 33 pre and radio but am not too keen on them so instead use a creek pre amp. Rest of my system isn't retro in the slightest or that special. The quads probably deserve a bette source.

My hi-fi is system is early 90's retro - spent a lot of money on it until I discovered mountain bikes. So here goes ...

Aura Evolution VA100ii Amp - black mirror finish - lush!
Linn LP12
Pioneer PD-S802 CD player
Pioneer CT-S410 Cassette deck
Pioneer F-203RDS Tuner
Mission 760 speakers on Cyrus stands
Audioquest interconnects
Mission speaker cable

Still sounds amazing

Full Linn to me:
Mimik
Kollektor
LK100 (just one, but I want two)
Maple Ninka's
Huge big MF Linn cables (size of a double barrel garden hose)

qaulity hi-fi will aways sound 10/10. As long as it is looked after And loved :cool:. Just like a retro bike :D

Back