My first old skool ish build- 99 Clockwork

Wow, that photo of the green frame hanging took me back.. I had my '91 [I think?] Clockwork sprayed Lime Green.. Lovely colour mate :cool:

Matching fork legs? ;)

Clockwork

Capital choice matey - its the same colour as mine -

08072009391.jpg

- hopefully your seatpost is a bit nicer than the one fitted to my bike.

Nope your seatpost is defo nicer- in that you actually have one, I've not found one I want to put on it yet and I've run out of money til payday

smashford":i0h4ln75 said:
Nope your seatpost is defo nicer- in that you actually have one, I've not found one I want to put on it yet and I've run out of money til payday

I bought mine as an entire bike with all its original parts, which I gleefully threw away (STX bits, RST forks, that sort of thing). The seatpost is the only thing left of the original frame and its all scratched up...I lost my gusto when I realised it wasn't 27.2mm, what are you mean to do??? (I don't do shims)

What did you use to paint your bike? - I mean, did it come from an aerosol? It looks good in the pictures, definitely. I've never painted one - I've used a few powdercoaters, Bob Jackson (boooo) and Argos (who are ace). I don't have anywhere to paint unless I do it outside, and then it'd look awful.

Orange-and-white fade might be the traditional paint job (well, that and orange) but that shade of green is my favourite Orange colour. I still regret not getting my new '99 ev02 in slime green. That's why I picked my Clockwork.

What bits are you thinking? With that frame I think it'd be well worth your while holding out for a set of pukka Orange rigid forks and paint them to match...brake bosses facing backwards, mmmm.
Also what style of decals are you going for? Do you have some pukka Orange ones or are you getting repro ones done? Orange will cheerfully send you a headbage btw. Rachel @ Orange has sent me tons of decals and bits before.

...I really, really like your frame. I strongly advise you to check here and eBay for one of the stems that Orange sold with bikes of this era. They aren't particularly trick or desirable, but definitely strip it and match the colour to the frame (but leave the clamp at the front black, with the Orange logo...). I would have donated mine but I ruined it by stripping a thread. I'd stripped it ready to match the colour with my ev02 when I had it painted bright orange. That bike was intensely pretty.

It's getting XTR brakes/ gears, XT chainset/ hubs all of the right sort of age- I've got a pair of 01 Manitou Mars forks that are going on for the time being- until I decide what to do with the front end, I've got a pair of Mavic 230 tib rims for it a new ritchey wcs stem in white a pair of white bars. Its a rattle can job and the colour is actually fords ultimate green- as its the closest thing I could see that Halfords :oops: could mix me! I just don't have the money to pay people what they want for spraying them. As for the Decals I was going to get some from gil but a mate of mine has cut me some white vinyl ones as a favour so i'll see how they look....

It looks really good - I guess you'd get excellent results when you've got a proper work area (which I haven't). The paint jobs I've had done at Bob's and Argos look ace, but then again I've had to put up with Bob's shitty attitude and Argos cost me £155, plus I provided my own decals. My local powder coater does bright green and I've had three frames done by them @ £15 each, although the frames needed to be properly finished by the time I handed them over.

It very much depends on what you're going to do with the bike, but it screams rigid forks to me...

You should definitely call Orange. Whenever I've asked about decals I get a digital photo e-mailed to me with whatever they've got available half an hour later, and they aren't expensive either.

Have spoken to Orange they don't have the decals I need so I'm going to run with the ones my mate made up, completely forgot to ask about headtube badge tho :oops: . Update on progress, heating has died in the work shop so the frame can't be lacquered yet :( but I built the wheels for it today :D

And now the moment you've all been waiting for!!!- well kinda it's nearly finished and I was excited about it!! Can't believe how light it's built up!

99 Clockwork
Manitou Mars Elite (air)
XTR M952, Shifters, Levers, Mechs and V's
Mavic 230 TiB/ Xt/ dt 2.0/1.8/2.0 wheels
Ritchey Stem
Nasty bars as in they are horrible
Brave green lock on grips
Xt chainset
CaneCreek S8 headset
nothing to sit on yet haven't found a nice white post.
Custom Decals

Attachments

• clockwork.jpg
    clockwork.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 913

Latest posts

Back