2007 Surly Pugsley ~ Time for the Mountain Rescue!

gil_m

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Can’t believe the first bike review I put on Retrobike is for a 2007 bike, but I know various people have wanted to know more about this bike than a lot of the other things I have so after today’s little outing I finally got some photos I was happy with and also got a true feel for the bike, so here goes

Bought about 9 months ago and ridden a handful of times, mainly to the pub down the road, I was always aware of wanting to ride it in the right conditions so I could give it a true review and today was Pugsley’s lucky day

Having ridden it in hard dry conditions you realise this bike, capable as it is, has a certain niche area of use, ride it hard and fast and you end up with arms like Popeye, that big old front wheel takes some turning once it’s rolling fast, but on the other hand ride up a loose stone climb and it sticks to the ground like you wouldn’t believe, that big rubber footprint always manages to find grip somewhere and if you’ve got the legs to peddle 40lbs of bike it will get up anything.

Keep on meaning to chuck him in the car and give him a run out on the sand but just don’t seem to have the time of late so today when I woke up to about 6” of snow I thought Christmas had come early, got the chores out the way, building three wheels and stripping a bike down and got old Pugsley out and ready to ride. Snow was still falling and the clouds said it was going to say that way, found my thickest socks and set off into the wilderness….

What can I say other than you suddenly realise why these are the only bikes guys ride on any of the endurance race events over snow and sand, riding through 6” to 8” of soft snow is like riding on grass with a standard MTB tire, where you would normally be battling to stay in a straight line with a standard width tire the 3.7 tires with about 8lbs of pressure in just glide along, loads of grip and excellent steering, perfectly stable even through the snow ploughed 14” deep banks of snow. You know what it’s like with a normal tyre on snow, a little too much effort and it will spin out, not with old Pugsley, he’ll just roll along in the lowest gear finding grip wherever he goes, He’s ace!

Would I buy a Pugsley?

Do you have snow tires for the car?
Do you have a snowboard/XC skis that come out the cupboard once a year?
Do you enjoy riding a great big bike round with a big grin on your face?

If your answer is yes to one of the above, it’s time for a Pugsley…

No, mines not for sale :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_5230a.jpg
    IMG_5230a.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 4,609
  • IMG_5213a.jpg
    IMG_5213a.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 4,609
  • IMG_5240a.jpg
    IMG_5240a.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 4,609
Great pictures Gil. Put that last one in POTM
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Lovely bike too. those wheels are mad :D :LOL:

tintin40":2vo08h1h said:
Great pictures Gil. Put that last one in POTM
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Lovely bike too. those wheels are mad :D :LOL:

The last pic is a beaut

put the light on the front for a rudolph effect :)

After seeing yours it had definitely piqued my interest, I've considered moddin a frame and getting one imported, but I have recently found that my 29er can fit large marge rims on :D

Would be interested to see your 29"er Kaiser, those Marge rims are pretty big. I remember Biff running one on the front of his Jones in Napa last year but you'll need a lot of clearance

Bike rides great on soft or solid ground, doesn't drag as much as you would think because the tread is quite minimal. One of those things you need to try to believe.

Trying to find the funds to buy a 100mm spaced front fork, it's great being able to swap the front wheel with the back but the fork is offset for this reason and it feels as though it always wants to pull to the left. Need to look into this with other Pugsley riders I guess.

Aye clearance is tight, the pics I've seen were of a 2.7 nevegal on the marges, no way a endo would fit in. Still gave quite a big airspace and the guy said it worked well.

What frame is it, got any photos?

Sorry for all the questions but can't believe you would get even a 2.7 tire on those rims, think they must be 3.0 just my themselves...

Back