Running only 8 speeds...

I'm running just 8 at the back, still playing aorund with ratios as I have a 50T up from at the moment :LOL:
Think in reality i'll go back to a triple, I just couldn't live without the range, especially missed bieng able to change from outer ring to middle and vice versa ;)

street":lk8rdrvx said:
I'm running just 8 at the back, still playing aorund with ratios as I have a 50T up from at the moment :LOL:
Think in reality i'll go back to a triple, I just couldn't live without the range, especially missed bieng able to change from outer ring to middle and vice versa ;)

Well i've actually got a Middleburn Duo at the moment with 29t/42t rings. Was thinking of swapping to a 32t Uno ring. I guess if i don't get on with a single-ring i could swap back to the Duo. I just never use the granny ring on my XT Triple.

Yeah I never used the granny ring either, it just seems a shame to leave it off though since your running a front mech and shifter anyway.
29/42 sounds like quite a good combo actually.
I'd probably be quite happy with something like a single 42T up front as a compromise because I do love a big chainring to get up to silly speed sometimes, plus I love the look of big chainrings! :LOL:

Tallpaul":2xdgsmwk said:
rc300":2xdgsmwk said:
Time to dig oot the DCD's then!

Or you could run a new hope SS hub with a rang of 3 sprockets :D

Chain tension shouldn't be a problem, just run a shorter chain ;)

Plus i couldn't bare the noise of a DCD :)

i ran mine about as short as it could go - in 1st at the back the rear mach was pretty stretched out (similar to big ring and big sprocket) but it never slipped off at the front! i kept the dmr thingy on as a 'just in case' tho - ive seen a singlespeed chain go at full tilt and i think its mentally scarred me for life! im sure you could use a locked up front mech tho.

I ran my Alpinestars on a regular commute using a 12-28 7 speed block and a 40 tooth front ring for about 4-5 years, shortened the chain so take up any slack and ran a regular low-end Sedis chain and short cage DX mech, no problems at all :D I'm considering doing the same type of thing again with things I have kicking around in the shed (same frame), have an odd Hope rear wheel with a nice 8 speed Cassette, an old XT thumbshifter to run an 8 speed XT mech and voila, an urban commuter retro style!

Stu

Latest posts

Back