1998 Kona Explosif - now with poll

Shall I get a disc tab added?

• Yes, you are respraying it anyway and plenty of bikes had discs in 98

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, stick to V-s and stay light and simple

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Choosing a colour is the hardest thing, the original blue looks pretty cool though TBH :cool:, maybe with a darker or lighter blue for the stickers ?

Right I'm in another dilemma! I have picked up some nice Hope Ti's built on Mavic 317's that are a great early set of disc wheels, but this frame doesn't have a rear disc tab. I am getting it sprayed anyway, so could just get disc tab welded on, but that leaves the canti mounts looking a bit, well, unused.

So using the poll tell me should I stick with V-s (just bought a lovely set of m950 levers, but would have to find wheels) or sell my disc wheels and go with V's, retaining the original feel?

HELP! :LOL:

Hey Barney, don't need a disc on the back, but if you WANT to run one, just get it done. Tempted to do the same with my 94 Explosif early next year...

Get the v-mounts removed and give it a new lease of life, you know you want to. Where you thinking of sending it?

South Bound":2g5tc8fe said:
Hey Barney, don't need a disc on the back, but if you WANT to run one, just get it done. Tempted to do the same with my 94 Explosif early next year...

Get the v-mounts removed and give it a new lease of life, you know you want to. Where you thinking of sending it?

Got a mate who builds his own frames who could pop one on for me pretty easily (he's quite good) and a friend of his does a very good powder coat for £60 all in. ;)

get it welded, its a nice riding bike not a rare one. Go for it.

If you want to run discs on the bike, I don't see a problem, provided you incorporate a reinforcing strut between the seat and chainstay. I personally wouldn't have the v-mounts removed though.

To me, the more interesting way of putting the question is whether adding disc tabs would increase the market value of the frame. My guess is it would. Modern frames are worth much more than retro frames, and in particular you reduce your market for a frame if it lacks disc tabs.

Interesting vote as it is split 50:50. Clear as Mendip mud! :LOL:

I think I'm going to go for it and I'll see about the canti mounts at a later date. I might be able to find some covers for them (possibly) to stop it looking too unfinished.

I remember selling the C2 adaptor sets, they work really well, but aren't the most elegant solution.

Cheers

Back