Halfords Competitor

cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Picked one up tonight and was wondering if anyone knew that brand .

Are they related to current halfords ?

it is quite heavy so guessing it is not high end , but it has Simplex gears , Weiman center pull brakes , and a nice ITM stem .

will put pics at the wek end .

I've got a funny feeling...

no, not that feeling, its the one where I vaguely remember a specific Halfrauds brand before they adopted the Carrerra name.

Yes they did. I had one as a kid after my BMX was nicked, bought from a car boot sale.

I was very fond of it. None of the kids with their cool bikes had a chance at keeping up with me. And I did stunts on it. Believe it or not, I used to be able to stand on the saddle of that bike, balancing with my arms out like a tightrope walker. Used to fall off a lot though. :oops:

Nothing exciting for the collector, but if you had a picture, it would be nice for me a bit of nostalgia.

yeah they did LGF, I remember them well back in the 70's/early 80's.

BTW, why do lots of people call them halfrauds. Seems a shame, given their stock and prices are up front & on display and their carerra and boardman are good VFM. Their only downside is limited stock & staff knowledge, but its only to be expected cos the potentially knowledgeable ones want to go out cycling at the weekends, rather than embark on the halfords shift patterns.

Halfrauds - they overcharge on car batteries and auto bulbs when proper brand name stuff is way cheaper.

My local Halfrauds - ok, the Boardman bikes are good value but they piss me off when they have a so called sale and one of their horrific BSO's is labelled as 'was £429 - now £129' when it was clearly never at that price. Maybe ONE bike was price at £429 in ONE store for 1 hour to comply with the rules.

perfect case in point, check at the bottom of the page:

PREVIOUS PRICES

Please note, this product was previously on sale at

£409.99 between 29/10/09 and 29/10/09 inclusive
£184.49 between 15/10/09 and 22/10/09 inclusive
£204.99 between 06/10/09 and 15/10/09 inclusive
£409.99 between 08/09/09 and 05/10/09 inclusive
£409.99 between 08/09/09 and 28/10/09 inclusive

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

I had a 'Halfords Olympic' 10 speed - typical gas pipe thing with steel wheels I bought secondhand in around 1983. Got me around though as a student.

it is this one

will take better picture later on .

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
it is actually very clean , and no damage at all .

no play anywhere and everything seems to be working .

any idea on age?

Back