1996 Bontrager Privateer - NOW COMPLETE!

for anthony's benefit, i popped the BB out today, and without the UN51 (hello fatty!) it's about 4.85lb

So 4.7-4.75 without headset cups, still on your possibly unkind scales. You wouldn't expect it to be as light as the Kilauea, as the tubeset isn't heat-treated and it has longer tubes. Is it a 19" c-c, with 23.4 top tube? The beautiful paint may add a fraction too.

I don't think weight matters in itself, I just like to understand what a bike is, and the weight tells us something about the frame, that's all.

it is indeed 19" C-C.

i dont think 4.7-4.8lb is at all bad for a big steel frame, especially since Bontragers were never built light (it has a gusset under the headtube-downtube join etc)

My diamond back WCF came in at 4lb dead. its a 16in c-c but as long in the top tube as an 18in fire mountain/hahanna

now that would make for a light bike...

there seems to be a dearth of black LX stuff for sale at the moment, but i have a line on a few bits

things i need

rear der
chainset

non LX bits required
1" aheadsetem ~110 mm ~10 degree. polished.
1" headset spacers
something to make the judys spring again (they only have one stack!) - probably gonna go ebay coils for this
some brown grips

Back