Hypothetical Road Bike Purchase... Edit, now bought!

Ride quality and wheels are more important than Tiagra vs 105.
I'd rather a bike with a nice ride and dialled geometry, on a decent set of hoops, with Tiagra over some floppy coke can frame far east noname chainstore shitter with 105 and cheesey unbrando wheelset.

John":2wfg20qo said:
I'd tend to disagree with Marcus and say fit on a road bike is very important, esp in comparison to a mtb. On a mtb you're in and out the saddle and constantly shifting position, on a road bike you can be sat relatively still for most of the day if you're out getting some miles in - any issue in fit will really show up then!

There are a few methods for determining road bike fit, think the Lemond method is a good starting point. Goes without saying it's worth seeking advice in a good LBS.

May have totally gone off the point here, not sure the OP asked on fit! Oh, that planet-x looks like super value also.

precisely, I'd say fit is all if you intend to cover any decent distance. Also if you go the planet X route Andy who works there has helped many pick the right size and will fine tune the build for you.

MJN":mm4dqcfy said:
Guess I'm a freak of nature that can ride anything!

You should turn pro then, some of them (boardman springs to mind) ride some pretty brutal positions!

John":2ajt1eve said:
MJN":2ajt1eve said:
Guess I'm a freak of nature that can ride anything!

You should turn pro then, some of them (boardman springs to mind) ride some pretty brutal positions!

Too old and slow I'm affraid :oops: Just been out cleaning the winter road bike and did notice that all my saddle to bar length,saddle to pedal length and front axle to bar height are within mm's across the 3 racing bikes I had to hand,the funny thing is I've never measured them before,when I get a new racing bike I set the saddle height by feel then slam the stem as low as it'll go and ride!
Thinkin of getting one of those Planet X's for a new winter hack now,they really do look good VFM and they come in PINK!

Some sound advice rolling out here!

Keep it coming chaps... The planet x does look like a bit of a deal there! Just not sure I like the look of it, and I am quite heavy, so would worry about cheap carbon...

fingers":27roul0s said:
Some sound advice rolling out here!

Keep it coming chaps... The planet x does look like a bit of a deal there! Just not sure I like the look of it, and I am quite heavy, so would worry about cheap carbon...

These frames have been ridden by some very 'hard' riders around these parts such as the animal that is Wayne Randal,if he can't break one you'll be fine,other class riders such as Kevin Dawson,Mark Lovatt,John Tanner and many other South Yorkshire Elites have raced trained on them.

Roadie

I agree that fit is the most important thing regardless of what brand your riding.
Ribble have a good deal on their gran fondo carbon model with veloce/deda for £929 with campag wheels.

Jamie

Back