Hypothetical Road Bike Purchase... Edit, now bought!

I'll add havin' a look at the Boardmans and Planet-X as well,
BUT.......oot of those three, I'd go fer the Bianchi. I likes teh colour. :p

Moved to road, sure you'll get a better response there ;)

Good advice already though. As MJN says I'd consider going 2nd hand. Potentially get something half decent for £800 notes.

If you want new then traditionally the 'branded' bikes (bianchi et al) would offer a better frame and lower spec parts at any given price point in comparison to the more 'value oriented' brands. That said I've no knowledge on any of these frames so could be talking crap.

Finally not sure what the specialized owner was on about. I've had a couple and never had issue with 'a light front end'.

Thanks for that - I wondered where to put it as its not really retro...

I figure a name brand should have an OK frame to upgrade, which I prefer to getting a nice group on a cheapo 7005 frame... Hmmm... Will do some testing over the break I think!

At that price point most of the frames are much of a muchness,all far eastern and very similar(not theres anything wrong with them) and TBH fit isn't that important on a road bike when theres such a range of stems etc,look at most pros they just get the smallest frame they can get away with then put a looong stem on!

TBH fit isn't that important on a road bike when theres such a range of stems etc,look at most pros they just get the smallest frame they can get away with then put a looong stem on!

Size is not important, but fit is the most important thing!!! But if you can get it right by fixing the contact points to suit you, your riding style and the bike geometry, then coolio. How you do that is a bit of a science, especially if you are new to road cycling as I was. It felt so alien after being on mtbs for years that I would not have know what felt proper. Needed to be fitted, otherwise could have been uncomfortable and given up almost straight away. Got it right, decided I liked it and then spent a bit more money on bling.

The Alu frame is more than good enough for me and I would have to spend a shed load more to make it worth upgrading, which does not make sense for the amount I ride.

Sorry but if my bars/saddle are around the right height and the stretch is long enough then I'm happy! Maybe I'm not fussy enough :D

Just to add to the bit for Planet X, if you can stretch to an extra £99 you could have full carbon with latest Ultegra (with all cables under the bar tape) as here http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... Promo.html for £899 posted.

No idea what they are like but reviews have been decent and at £99 more than the bikes originally mentioned that would be a really substantial step up and certainly more than good enough to race at a high level.

Cube bikes also look good value too.

ededwards":1zvuvp76 said:
Just to add to the bit for Planet X, if you can stretch to an extra £99 you could have full carbon with latest Ultegra (with all cables under the bar tape) as here http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... Promo.html for £899 posted.

No idea what they are like but reviews have been decent and at £99 more than the bikes originally mentioned that would be a really substantial step up and certainly more than good enough to race at a high level.

Cube bikes also look good value too.

That Planet X sounds like a total bargain,the frames are pretty good,I know of a few guys who have/do race on them and with new Ultegra,which is really nice, sounds like a deal not to be missed!

I'd tend to disagree with Marcus and say fit on a road bike is very important, esp in comparison to a mtb. On a mtb you're in and out the saddle and constantly shifting position, on a road bike you can be sat relatively still for most of the day if you're out getting some miles in - any issue in fit will really show up then!

There are a few methods for determining road bike fit, think the Lemond method is a good starting point. Goes without saying it's worth seeking advice in a good LBS.

May have totally gone off the point here, not sure the OP asked on fit! Oh, that planet-x looks like super value also.

Back