"The Best Handling Bike in the World!"

I posted in another thread some history of de Kerf copied from a late 1999 copy of www.dekerf.com that is preserved on the wayback machine. It also includes the following about the 1999 Team ST (which incidentally entirely supports Andrew Ling's suggestion above).

The newly updated Softail for 1999 is the ultimate cross-country bike for those who recognize the benefits of rear suspension but want light weight and simplicity. As in the Team SL, the frame is made of Reynolds 853 tubing in the front triangle to create one of the lightest full-suspension frames available. Its one inch of rear wheel travel is controlled by a sliding spring inside the wishbone center strut for simple, clean operation. New for 1999, the frame features bonded-in Titanium chainstays that eliminate the need for pivots, which means no maintenance and more efficient riding. The softail will smooth the roughest courses without the loss of efficiency associated with most full-suspension designs.

Specifications for 1999
Fork Rock Shox Judy SL, SID Optional
Front Rim Mavic 222
Rear Rim Mavic 222
Spokes DT-15 Straight (front) 14/15 DB (rear)
Hubs XT
Inner tubes Ritchey Ultralight
Front Derailleur XT
Rear Derailleur XT
Shifters XT Rapid Fire
Brake Levers XT
BB XT
Stem Race Face SyStem
Seatpost Race Face XY 330mm, 27.2
Handlebar Race Face Air Alloy Riser XC
Headset Race Face Thermo SP
Grips Ritchey True Lite
Brakes XTR V Brakes (Rock Shox Disks Optional)
Saddle WTB SST chromoly rails w/kevlar sides
Cassette XT, 11-32, 9sp
Crankset Race Face LP
Chainrings Race Face Race Rings 22-32-44
Chain XT
Pedals PD747
Front Tire WTB Velociraptor K 47/52
Rear Tire WTB Velociraptor K 44/50
Chainstay Protector WTB

Weight (18.5") 1750g
Colors Kermit Green, Guinness, Copper, Burgundy, Viper Blue, Tangarine or Slate

Attachments

• 1999 de Kerf Team ST frame website.jpg
    1999 de Kerf Team ST frame website.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,304
They lie about the weight, of course! It isn't 1750gm, but 2150, inc King Headset, so 2050ish? 300gm diff, or over half a pound.

Neil G":26068dxj said:
What a frame!

How much may I ask?
More than I can afford! :LOL: But I couldn't afford not to! It is practically mint condition. Maybe 1 or 2 little touched up nicks, but that's it!

That's the build decided on. Just been for my morning blat around the woods, and those Superflys are the Business! They really do wee in the face of Pace Aiirforce from 5 years later. Stiffer, plusher, smoother, 50 gms lighter, and very probably needing less maintenance too. None of this G spot nonsense; I'll change the oil, and that'll be it for a couple of years.
This is going to be my first truly period-correct build! :D

re:

this will be a sensible powermachine...

but I would recommend a newer fork a 80mm's fork would probarly be fine. but on the other hand the Judy from 98/99 was just fine!

especially the LT Judys were ok, feels like theese forks get a lot of unserved dissing. Had a 98 standard 63mm on my P7 and my friend has it now, it's acctually really good, suprisingly good to be honest.

oh I miss my P7 it was probarly one of the best bikes put together, why didn't they make it a softtail?

Yup, the second Dekerf. :oops: The first is up and running, and blimey , it's quick! :shock: Bramley Bob's butchery of the top tube really gets on my tits every time I look down, but that only makes me thrash it harder! :twisted:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16732514@N ... 947703188/
It's much nicer on the Superflys! Possibly the best forks of '99, and certainly no embarrasment to the frame.

suburbanreuben":3qz8on5p said:
Yup, the second Dekerf. :oops: The first is up and running, and blimey , it's quick! :shock: Bramley Bob's butchery of the top tube really gets on my tits every time I look down, but that only makes me thrash it harder! :twisted:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16732514@N ... 947703188/
It's much nicer on the Superflys! Possibly the best forks of '99, and certainly no embarrasment to the frame.

:shock: crikey I didn't know you'd finished it already, better get me finger out. Is there a thread? Need some more in depth analysis :D

No , no thread, yet... I'm always too busy before Christmas. The softail won't take long either. I've been out to the magic shed and lots of '99 Race Face stuff appeared. :D That was the last year I spent money on bikes, before impending fatherhood (daughter conceived at Mountain Mayhem! :p ) took all my time, money and energy. So this will be the bike I might have bought back then....
How's your's doing? 254 needs his brother...

suburbanreuben":2z8nkozd said:
No , no thread, yet... I'm always too busy before Christmas. The softail won't take long either. I've been out to the magic shed and lots of '99 Race Face stuff appeared. :D That was the last year I spent money on bikes, before impending fatherhood (daughter conceived at Mountain Mayhem! :p ) took all my time, money and energy. So this will be the bike I might have bought back then....
How's your's doing? 254 needs his brother...

:D looking forward to it the softtail is a very nice beast :cool:

mines will be a wee bit longer again, the Yo will be getting finished first then all efforts on the D :)

Back