Gitane Low Profile Bike, Circa 1990

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This is the second of my bikes I have got round to showing. Its a bit fortunate that its actually in my posession but thats sort of why I like it.

I visited Tower Cycles in Erdington many years ago looking for a few spares for my bike, certainly wasn't my LBC but it was worth a trip out and the weather was nice. I think I braved the A38 which was a bit stupid in hindsight, as it was also the wrong way to get there.

I bought a set of track wheels for my now departed Dave Marsh and spotted this sitting in the shop, bright as a button and looking very nice.

I paid a deposit on it, and for some reason, then proceeded to completely forget about it all together. I did move away and get a job and so on, not a great or even good excuse but hey they had some money for nothing I guess... I think about 4 or 5 years later, my Ma turned up with my 'Christmas present'. Sure enough, the shop had rang her and asked what was going on, and instead of asking me why I had put a deposit on a bike I couldn't remember anything about, she just quietly paid it off and delivered it :)

So without further ado, 1 x Gitane Time Trail bike, pretty much stock as it came from the shop.. spec to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_0780sml.JPG
    IMG_0780sml.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 3,598
Frame: Gitane 'Superlite'

Fork: Gitane

Headset: n/a
Stem: ITM
Handlebar: ITM
Bar Tape: white / yellow fade, poss ambrosio (have a spare set somewhere)

Brake Levers: CLS Omega R
Brake Calipers: CLS Omega R
Brake Pads: std
Brake Cables: std

Shifters: Sachs / Aris New success 7 speed index
Front Derailleur: Campag Veloce
Rear Derailleur: Sachs / Aris New success 7 speed
Derailleur Cables: std
Cassette: 7 speed freewheel - Sachs Maillard
Chain: Sachs
Cranks: Aris Rival
Chainrings: 52/42
Bottom Bracket: n/a
Pedals: Time Equippe Magnesium

Rims: Mavic Open 4CD 650 front 700 rear
Hubs: Sachs
Hub Skewers: Shacs
Spokes: galvanised /standard
Tyres: Wolber

Saddle: Selle Rolls
Seatpost: n/a
Seatpost Binder: bolt

Extras: Bolt-on Tri-bars, Cateye 6000 computer with cadence

Weight: n/a

Attachments

• IMG_0785sml.JPG
    IMG_0785sml.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 3,594
In future I have planned...

Refurb the original 'Super U' colour scheme saddle and put it back on the bike.

Replace Handlebar stem, re-fit brake levers, replace the calipers are they are worse than useless, might put some ultegra ones on..

Re-spoke the wheels with some nice SS spokes.

Take it out of the Turbo trainer once in a while :)

Attachments

• IMG_0781sml.JPG
    IMG_0781sml.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 3,593
  • IMG_0787sml.JPG
    IMG_0787sml.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 3,593
  • IMG_0789sml.JPG
    IMG_0789sml.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 3,593
Lovely bike and a great story, thanks for sharing.

I'd want to change the front mech and the brakes to New Success too so it all matches. Although I think Modolo were making Sachs brakes at the time so would settle for them if need be :)

Nice ride for the turbo trainer :D

Tel":2opcedb1 said:
Lovely bike and a great story, thanks for sharing.

I'd want to change the front mech and the brakes to New Success too so it all matches. Although I think Modolo were making Sachs brakes at the time so would settle for them if need be :)

Nice ride for the turbo trainer :D

I have the original mech but from memory it didn't really work that well so I swapped it for the Campag item, although on a Turbo Trainer don't really use it that much anyhow.

I originally thought the brakes were Modolo ones, but the quick look I had last night didn't seem to show any Modolo markings, so I will have another look. They were stock, but dreadful. The hoods need replacing also, but then I don't really do a lot of braking on it so the rims still look nice and new :)

Unfortunately the tires are shot and whilst they are fine on the stand they would fall to bits in a corner so I have to replace those as well with something suitably aged.

Picked this up from the 'new' Gitane thread.

Nice interesting bike. Pity about the stem marks but it's replaceable.

The brakes are 'CLB', a French manufacturer who went into the Sachs conglomerate eventually. They also went under the name 'Alp' and can be found on Classic Rendezvous and similar sites. I was watching an '88 TdF video recently and the Z-Peugeot team bikes had these brakes fitted.

Back