Hypothetical Road Bike Purchase... Edit, now bought!

fingers

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right, this is purely hypotheical, just pondering and wondering...

If you had to choose between the three following bikes, which way would you sway?

Opinions valued chaps :D

2010 Wilier Escape Xenon
2010 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Xenon
2010 Specialized Allez Elite Tiagra

Theyre all around the £800 mark, the spesh seems to have the best wheels and is red (very important!) but it aint italian! Also campy has a certain draw but is xenon useless??

I'd buy something second hand,its suprising what you can get for £800 if you don't mind it 'only' having 9spd.

road bikes

I had a specialized and it was way too light on the front end :? I'm sure that's not the case with the new ones though.

MJN":1dygp481 said:
I'd buy something second hand,its suprising what you can get for £800 if you don't mind it 'only' having 9spd.

9 speed no problem...

The only thing is, I quite fancy having a new new bike, (last one was in 1997)

Will bear it in mind tho, the colagno f&f that recently sold in the road section looked awesome!

fingers":3d3fhqkw said:
MJN":3d3fhqkw said:

9 speed no problem...

The only thing is, I quite fancy having a new new bike, (last one was in 1997)

Will bear it in mind tho, the colagno f&f that recently sold in the road section looked awesome!

Fair enough wanting new, at the end of the day its nice to have something no one else has ridden and all my road stuff was bought new but second hand is worth keeping in mind cos alot of roadies I know only ever use their best bike in summer and only keep them for 2 or 3 seasons (me included :oops: ) and then sell them at a really good price :D

Re: Hypothetical Road Bike Purchase...

fingers":1i2uqgjh said:
is xenon useless??

It's about as useless as Tiagra.

For that sort of money you should be able to find something with 105 on it.

Also worth considering are Focus and Boardman bikes,you seem to get alot of kit for your money :D

none of the above!

I wouldnt spend £800 for a bike with xenon/tiagra. It really is bargain basement kit. For that sorta bike I'd go to decathlon and spend about £500. For £800 new I'd want 105/ultegra mix and go to Ribble or halfords and get a boardman. None of my alternatives are sexy names, but at that price substance over name rules.

As someone with a 2009 VN7 (which I love) I would say it depends what you want it for and what fits. I wanted something that fitted me right so I could learn the roadie ropes on something that was right for me. The Bianchi works for me after being measured and finding it fitted me, although it is now wearing totally unneccessary Centaur upgrades and Planet X Model B wheels which are the best upgrade I could recommend.

I would def look at the Boardmans if I was buying any modern bike...

Edited to add that the Xenon worked just fine, especially the Ergos which I preferred to the Centaur ones, but changed to be tarty as like my mechs silver!

Back