Prevent a crime - Master X Light build advice needed

There is a set of late model Record hubs on ebay uk finishing tonight. Somehow I think they will go for silly money!

I'm pleased that I also got some of the Daytonas from Total Cycling - very nice hubs, and all gone now...

OMG :shock: I am so glad I dont need any Record hubs at the mo!

Hi Ed have just sent an email with the scans from Cyclesport hope they are of use.

Have you thought about team kit to go with the Colnago. You might find it is a good time to get the Santini Lampre world champion kit at a good price as Alessandro Ballans kit is now out of date.

Best Regards

Tim

Holy Mackerel.

Didn't realise they were becoming so in demand.

I bet they don't sell ANY of the new black ones.

Was considering putting my 2004 hubs on my cross bike. Delete that particular idea then.

Lemond Fan":dt7765y3 said:
Hi Ed have just sent an email with the scans from Cyclesport hope they are of use.

Thanks Tim, scans successfully received and very useful.

Thought I'd also attach a photo of the Saronni I've been mithering about, pretty much complete although the rear mudguard needs sorting out and the cables trimming.

Now it's looking like 9 speed alloy Record is going to cost silly money/be not easy to find - would a Sram groupset be wrong (and I think I know the answer to that)?

Attachments

• Saronni Returns!.JPG
    Saronni Returns!.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,154
SRAM would look wrong on a steel Colnago.

Personally, I'd go for a mix of alloy Campag based on what's easily available:

2009 Alloy Centaur shifters and mechs
2006 Record cranks
2006ish Chorus brakes, non-skeleton with the hidden bolts - quite easy to get hold of from the states NOS on eBay

For wheels, I'd go for the Ambrosio Zenith hubs, they have a nice look about them and aren't expensive. Ambrosio Excellence rims are very nice with the little brass badge, the Excellight in black also look great, but a bit more modern.

I have a Master X Light in the Milram blue, they ride beautifully. I friend of mine has an older Master Pui - he's got carbon record shifters and mechs (200:cool: and it looks pretty good - he has the alloy cranks and brakes though.

I'll put some photos up when I get the chance.

Cheers Ed

Glad they are of use. With regards to components it all comes down to how much you want to spend and be comfortable in paying. I would love to build up my second Lemond project in Record 06 carbon. I know its totally the wrong era for an early 1990's frame but if done with a no later 06 Record group can be done tasteful too look sort of retro. 'Retro Pimp'. I must post the pics of the Coal Black Z when we have some decent weather

With one Record equipped bike in the garage amd the fact I am a fair weather cyclist at best, with dodgy knees and not enough time to go out I simply cannot justify a second expensive build, however with the new project I have switched tactic and gone for 06 Campagnolo Veloce, Ok its heavier and will not perform like Record but its still Campag with the retro Campagnolo logos and will give a real retro look with all alloy components, and a third of the cost. Some finds have been bargins where I have deviated from the gears eg. 06 Chorus Headset NOS £20, 06 Chorus Seatpost NOS £40.

I have allowed the odd indulgance (period correct) with a Cinellli Grammo Stem purely because I cannot find a decent priced Cinelli XA NOS Stem in my size. Thats my excuse to my lovely wife anyway :)

Shamus":2bqefy4m said:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66523

Good link, I'm on it :D

But is it really 50 euros to ship from Denmark :shock: ?

Back