Tubular Tyre Questions!

Could I suggest using the TUFO tyre sealant on these. With most small punctures you remove the valve stem squeeze in 1/3rd of a tube of goop and pump it up Voila! Your tyre does then gain weight and some sloshing liquid in the tube.

I had a tub on the back of the vitus for 8 months PITA. Though with the sealant in them they are pretty reliable. Most of mine ended up being ruined by mistiming kerb jumps. They drop pretty damn fast once the valve is stuffed.

For get you home repairs, you could try Vittoria Pitstop sealant - instant repair in an aerosol can.

Doesn't always work and not on big holes,but should get you home most of the time.

+1 for the Tufo tubs with the tufo sealant - I use these on my hack bike.... nothing feels better on a wet windy morning commute than seeing those little white sealant bubbles as you ride along, with the warm, smug feeling that it's another puncture you've completely avoided.

On that disk wheel question, I use one of those adaptors that you get on the cheapo pumps, the thick cloth tube?? I screw that onto the valve then stuff the other end into my track pump. Job done.

Here we go, the old 'Cycling' page on how to fit a tubular. Now I've looked at it it does seem to miss out quite a few of the basics that we've already mentioned - eg. pre-stretching and inflating dry on a rim, warming slightly, a coat of cement on rim AND tyre, but it does show how to get all the air out - which makes life easier. I do this prior to folding up my spare to go under the saddle and I do it to innertubes as it makes them smaller and easier to fit into under-saddle tool/tube bags.

There was also a similar set of drawings on how to repair a tubular but I've not come across that one yet. The original one I had I cut out of the magazine and stuck to my shed wall when I was a lad.

Attachments

• FittingTubsCyclingMar62.A.jpg
    FittingTubsCyclingMar62.A.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 435
Ohhhh @ oldned

I get it now, its not about the pressure drop so much as it wont actually let go of the rim even lacking any form of pressure

which i can vouch for

if your balsey enough (and evil enough to do it to your rims) you can ride on a flat in a pinch with tubies.

idk..

ive had bad experiences, definately dont stick them on your daily rider.

but for a lo-pro i dont think it would matter much (or else your a total nutter for riding a lo pro as your daily.)

but yeah, i just think clincher tires have caught up (and surpassed) tubies in my humble opinion.

gluing is really quite simple, alot easier than most make it out to be

& even the tufo tape worked just fine with me (without using tufo, because they say they might not adhere or whatever to different mfgs.)

It was only 12 months or so ago that I rode my first 700c clincher. Bought tubs for time trials in '79 and always rode the same wheels or other bargains. Had more punctures in that last 12 months than in as many years. Dunno why. Actually changing them on the road is no hassle really and no slower. After all with a clincher you have to check the tyre for thorns and unless you find it you keep checking. Maybe a lever needed. Back in '79 I was told to use less glue for about an inch or two opposite the valve. Often by the decal. Have never had a tub roll off.
Tubs are an acquired taste. My main reservation is if you want to carry lots of spares they are bulky. 1 is no problem, two ok but I doubt I would risk them for something like the HONC or 3 Peaks purely because I might have a lot of punctures. I do use them on my "rough stuff" cross bike and good old bike shops often have stacks of used ones for bugger all. Thats how I get mine.

Back