LEMON ROADWORK!! FINISHED 31/03/10

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
this has been a backburner thing for me for quite a while, a couple of people knew i was planning it and i told a couple of people it was turning up but i didn't expect it this morning!! :D

i'd always wanted to build an "anti roadbike" and what i mean by that is building a perfectly usable road bike but in a mountain bike style with traditionally mtb components! for no other reason than "i can" :D

so a while back i built my LIME Crosswork, a cross bike version of the orange clockwork so then later i came up with the idea of the LEMON ROADWORK!!! i thought this would be perfect for an mtb style build! :D :D

i waited for a frame to turn up on ebay or wherever but there seemed to be nothing till i dropped into my local shop cyclexperience in hythe, a shop i used to run, mark the current manager let me have the frame for £40! mainly coz it had a slight dink in the tope tube (which you'll notice on one of the stickers) and some damage to the inside of the seat tube, nothing that was a problem though as i knew this was gonna be a winter orientated bike i wasn't fussed about the dink and the seatube just needed a good reaming out!

cut to a year later and the frame had been sent to bob jackson for its new paint scheme!! also in the mean time i've been collecting bits for the build. :D

then this morning a box turned up!! :D

here are the pics! :D

Attachments

• roadwork.jpg
    roadwork.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,043
  • lemon.jpg
    lemon.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,043
  • opening the present!.jpg
    opening the present!.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,043
  • woo hoo it's here!.jpg
    woo hoo it's here!.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,043
Hmmm, hmmmm, hmmm. Sounds a bit like that old mbuk article.

What was/is the frame?

don't know about an article but there has been a gradual shift of some brands that were always mtb based to look at doing road bikes or components, for example hope, they did road hubs quite early but it was a while before they did stems etc but even so they are predominantly an mtb company, easton, raceface etc, all have dabbled into the road market in more recent years, with varied success.

as far as the frame goes it's a run of the mill 7005 double butted taiwan built frame, could be anything!! but i measured it up and the geometry is spot on for me so at 40 quid was a no brainer! it has a replaceable drop out and an intergrated headtube so whatever it is it's of reasonable quality, the drop out is the same as on the taiwan built fausto coppi bikes from a couple of years ago, but in all honesty i don't mind what it is, it fits and was cheap and it's a bit of fun with some spares i already had! :D

here's a few more pics! :D

Attachments

• orange, lemon and lime!.jpg
    orange, lemon and lime!.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,032
  • quickley threw some bits together!.jpg
    quickley threw some bits together!.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,032
  • the start of the build kit.jpg
    the start of the build kit.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,032
  • the lemon roadwork!.jpg
    the lemon roadwork!.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,032
SStumpjump":lbg3e2te said:
TheGreenRabbit":lbg3e2te said:
looking good whats next, Mango ?

Or maybe coconut? All brown and hairy... :LOL:

Nice trio by the way!

Nice collection. If you carry on with that theme then you will have to change your name to some thing like fruityboy ;)

Back