new project! orange E3 update on 10/12/09

i haven't checked the serial number but i guessed and was told it was a 95, i assumed that because of the rear canti mount. looking forward to quick spin tomorrow as a bed in ride before the IOW on sunday. :D

Sorry to moan but this thread is hard to read with the pics
being the size they are :?

Anyway, nice job jonny, looking great :cool:

Marc, does your frame have a cable guide/noodle on the top of the
seattube ?,
also notice your frame has a triple cable stop on the front
of the top tube and a double on the rear, this is exactly how
my frame was, but strangely it didn't have guides on the left of the top
tube like yours and looked like it had something cut off the
seattube (we guessed a cable noodle), also guessed my frame is
a 97 (no canti hanger), could'nt be sure though

@jimi, the page got massive when mtt posted his pic, i always resize mine so it doesn't happen

gonna give it a test ride later to make sure it is ok for the IOW tomorrow, just got in from a nightshift, need sleep first. :D

I think the serial number will help to tie down the date of your frame to either 1995 or 1996.

I don’t know whether 1996 Oranges had canti guides or not.
I’ve got a little collection of Orange pics and about half of the bikes believed by their owners to be 96 have a canti guide and half don’t.
But people don’t always know for sure what year their bike is, and there’s no 96 catalogue on the web, so it’s difficult to say without knowing the serial numbers.

Marc two tone’s bike has no canti guide so it’s presumably either 1996 or 97, but it has authentic-looking decals that are not 1997 decals so it could be 96.
And as jimihendrix points out, it has those cable stops on the left that I haven’t seen on any other bike, so I don’t know what they tell us about its age.
Jimihendrix’s own bike has no canti guide and a serial number that may suggest it was made in January 1995 (i.e., a 1996 model), but he feels it is most likely a 97.

Things would be clearer if we could establish whether 96 Oranges had canti guides!
1996 seems quite early to be abandoning canti guides – V brakes had barely come out in 1996, just top models.
LX M600 was what made Vs available to the masses and I don’t think they came out until 1997.

so i finally battered this today, sort of depressed about it, will have to clean and re-polish it tomorrow :D

i was supposed to test ride it but other than a 20metre ride around my drive this morning the test ride was actually the Isle of Wight! :D really like the way it handles, for an older bike of a style that should be uncomfortable for someone like me, ie a race bike, i really like it and didn't get off it feeling crap except for an unfit feeling generally and also feeling that it is a faster bike than i am currently capable of! :LOL:

Attachments

• nice and filthy!!.jpg
    nice and filthy!!.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 686
Back