An Experience From My Early Biking Days....

Stick Legs":3jh101c4 said:
:cry: Talk about keeping it real!

Almost feel bad charging you for stuff now! ;)

Is this going to start a...

"when I were a lad, we had to eat plain 4130 cromoly frames as there was no carbon or ti to chow down on"

"4130 cromoly frames - luxury, we just had rusty bottle cage bolts in our house"

...scenario? :D

That's nothing, when I were a lad I didn't even have a bike, I used to make my parents roly poly down a hill whilst carrying me on a plank..times were tuff ...

Remember that picture in Richards ulitmate bicycle book, the one with the bike with all the repairs done to it; the coke can cable patch, the tyres stuffed with straw, the bungee cord holding up the rear mech...

That was my bike! :LOL:

Good story street, blast from the past!

Funny you say that my mate had contacts at Orange as they were on my doorstep pretty much.

I asked for a frame and forks, my mate got given one legitimately! :eek: and kept it for himself then!

So then I had to go to his contact, who could get me one. in satin matt black and temporarily without stickers. it may of been a seconds frame he got legit for me, as i had to touch it up with car paint (thats what they used). it was crazy going to his house, like going to a dealer or summat! cos of no stickers i never knew if it was a clockwork or prestige beauty light bike though once built up with teh bits off my GT and a few custom bits. so i slapped on some prestige stickers, as did my mate on his :cool:
what a great XC bike that was, had to sell in the end, needed money for motor bike and a BMX

At the same time the insurance claim culture was coming in, wasn't really impressed with teh greedy guts doing that one :roll:

Hilts":2h6o9q5s said:
That's nothing, when I were a lad I didn't even have a bike, I used to make my parents roly poly down a hill whilst carrying me on a plank..times were tuff ...

LOL

:LOL:

Stick Legs":224907wc said:
Remember that picture in Richards ulitmate bicycle book, the one with the bike with all the repairs done to it; the coke can cable patch, the tyres stuffed with straw, the bungee cord holding up the rear mech...

That was my bike! :LOL:

I've still got that book (christmas pressie ~1993), god knows how i ever learnt any sort of Bike Maintenance from it. Looking back at it today, it's awfull.

Thats my favourite book that is, especially the people dressed up for riding in a british winter. (or the bird in the lycra that so obviously does not ride her bike).

Back