1995 Marin Palisades Trail

f_paul123

Retro Newbie
This is probably the most boring, most-asked post ever, but as a newbie, hope you'll humour me and maybe help?

I've just got hold of a '95 Marin Palisades Trail on Ebay which replaces one I had from new but was nicked a few years ago. It's pretty scratched up, but the components are good. I want to do a renovation, not expecting to get back to original, but at least make a reasonable job.

Main issue is going to be the paint. Any ideas on the best way to improve this? A few questions I have are:

Is there any way to find the codes for the original paint? (metallic greyish / champagne frame with metallic blue bars and details).

If I can match the paint, am I better off just doing the best touch-in I can manage or is there anyone who can do a complete spray and mask / replace the original stickers?

Does anyone sell sets of old school stickers I could use if it was a complete re-spray?

No idea where to start really so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

firstly...welcome ;)

secondly...you might want to post up a few pics, using your own image hosting program or follow the instruction within this site.

the decals guy on here is gil_m..have a search for him and fire over a pm to with what your wanting......im sure he wont mind me saying this :?

as for the colour..im afraid i cant help as im not clued up with marins to be honest....give it a while....people will turn up soon ;)

Pics of the Palisades Trail

As suggested, here are a few pics of the '95 Marin Palisades Trail I picked up on Ebay. Not a pretty sight but any thoughts on the first post above would be appreciated!

Scratches on the frame are a fair bit worse than they look in the pics.

Attachments

• MPT11.jpg
    MPT11.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 4,672
  • MPT02.jpg
    MPT02.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 4,673
  • MPT01.jpg
    MPT01.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 4,675
Paint wise I'd suggest going to model shop and buying a range of humbrol paints and trying to find or mix a match if you want to go down the touch up route.

Respray and new stickers the other route. Try gil@cycleshed.co.uk for decals. This however is not a cheap option!

Thanks John. Thinking it through I reckon I'll be better going down the 'Humbrol route'. If I do that, do you (or anyone) know if there's a good lacquer I can use to finish it? Is lacquering the best route or some other way?

f_paul123":1gavu8o8 said:
Thanks John. Thinking it through I reckon I'll be better going down the 'Humbrol route'. If I do that, do you (or anyone) know if there's a good lacquer I can use to finish it? Is lacquering the best route or some other way?

When I've touched in chips before (and tbh I've never done an outstanding job so don't count me as an expert) I've painted a little higher than existing paint then flatted it back with a light abrasive like t-cut. Finally have polished and waxed using normal car stuff. I've never bothered lacquering a frame before...

Back