Alconbury Midnight Growlers

lewis1641":du0rpt5r said:
i might need to car share on the way down though as i dont have a vehicle at the mo, unless i can borrow my mates van...

If you can get to mine we can go down in mine Dave.

Wow! I'm surprised at the interest. Its what I grew up with and after the Peaks meet, its a bit of a let down.

Let me think on a time that doesnt clash. It really is only Wednesdays and Sundays as I cant take the time off being self employed...

Route 2 is the epic all dayer. You will be knackered but you will see some of the best river meadows in the area no matter what time of year. Winter waterproof stuff is recommended for the lower part of your body as some of the route can be under water (not yet this year). You will need a reliable light weight XC bike that you are happy to chuck over styles and ride on the main roads as unfortunately there is quite a bit of road work. I used the NF pictured above during a dry April. Bring plenty of the fiddly spares such as chain links, cables and replacement bolts as, unlike the Peaks, as its a commuter belt, it can be a very empty place with no shops/ back-up - a bit over dramatic but its true, you are bloody miles from anywhere in some spots.

Grafham Water is just a quick blast and is best done twice, clockwise then anti clockwise if you wish. It can be ridden to from my house if you are up for it but there is a big Pay & Display carpark. Any bike will do as long as you are happy riding it fast. I prefer drops...:p

Let me know what you fancy and I'll see what I can foul up organising.

Grafham is a tad tame unless ridden fast but can have 'traffic' which is not a good idea if a gang of RB growlers are racing each other, weaving between the kiddie buggies and grand pops on his Asda special.

The longer routes look impressive, Sundays are best for me. I'm sure Jango would be up for this too.

REKIBorter":1zgda8vm said:
Grafham is a tad tame unless ridden fast but can have 'traffic' which is not a good idea if a gang of RB growlers are racing each other, weaving between the kiddie buggies and grand pops on his Asda special.

The longer routes look impressive, Sundays are best for me. I'm sure Jango would be up for this too.

Grafham is good in the week as its devoid of life but, as you say, t.a.m.e.

REKIBorter":2ovgwbcr said:
Looks very interesting, name a date and they will come ;)

Oh Wise Growler.....Googley says Chav Ground Zero is only 37 minutes from Le Chateau Du Fromage so I'm up for a Sunday rideout with the Alconbury Midnight Growlers :)

Cool!

anyone fancy deepest darkest January for a proper ball freezer? (although a friday in Jan 98 was 19 degrees centigrade...)

Going for a pokey about tomorrow as home early. There are some good extras around Grafham that I havent been to in a while as long as current builds dont decide to distract me for too long.

cold damp air making lungs burn as i pump uphill big ring stylee on the new kona that has levers/shifters too close gawd the original owner must have had small hands forks soak up bumps better than expected nicely set up

and all that:

Attachments

• DSC00685.JPG
    DSC00685.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 765
  • DSC00687.JPG
    DSC00687.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 765
  • and relax.jpg
    and relax.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 765
Back