1995 Merlin Malt 3, the 2nd coming.

Any advance on the year? Goneriding reckons 96 or 97, it is maybe frame number that indicates 95? Made of Easton Elan? Frame weight? Size? Riding impressions? They used to sell the frames for £249 in 1997.

I'm still thinking it was produced in 95-96 due to the canti stop. Could have been sold later but I don't think it would have been produeced any later than that. Decals are impossible to get hold of so I may go the RM stratos route as it is soooo similar. Rides lovely with the manitous on, they are about 40mm travel and v soft so sag quite a bit reducing the head height even more. The RST's and steel forks that were on it were way too long. Steels were 410 i think. Rst's even after I had removed 1 elastomer,reducing the travel to about 65mm, felt a little too long.
I need to strip her down now for a proper polish, sticker her up, and source a 31.8 top pull Suntour xc comp front mech :? . I'll be v. happy with her then :D

fingers":2kvnoorh said:
24pouces":2kvnoorh said:
Yes, but with a "cutingsteel" fork or an upside down STM ! :LOL:

But I don't understand why this bike is called Merlin…
A Merlin has to be in titanium ! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Merlin is a UK bikeshop that badges up its own frames/

That bike looks cool BTW, nice shapes :cool:

They also build a good wheel.

Re: .

Grannygrinder":3rm4z455 said:
I'm still thinking it was produced in 95-96 due to the canti stop. Could have been sold later but I don't think it would have been produeced any later than that.
I'm not so sure. I have here the November 97 MBR with a Merlin advert with pictures of the then-new Rock Lobster Expert models (i.e., the first ones in Fuji Stoutlite and 7005, before the Tig Team models came out in 199:cool:. The Experts definitely first came out in 1997 and they have canti bridges.

At that point, there was still a demand for cantis, even though the great majority were won over by the multiple advantages of Vs. And not just the 'you'll never get me up in one of those things' brigade. Quite a few people still believed that well set up cantis and strong fingers were better than over-fierce Vs.

Mike here's the original Decals, might be worth asking Gil. BUT it would look good as a RM clone ;)

CIMG2301.jpg

CIMG2307-1.jpg

Back