Info required on Raleigh ti.

dyna-ti":t7vv47ay said:
On the wishbone of mine is a threaded frame mount, that may be for a screw-in canti mount :?

Yep mine has the same thing.

Think I'm gonna go with 1997 due to the earlier looking decals and the 7 in the frame number ;)

Chris.

terryhfs":2119wyb8 said:
I had thought that all Ti Raleighs were made in Russia. But I may have recalled wrong and that they just used Russian tube stock.

Urban myth.

Actually its true ;)

The dyna-techs from made from tubes from the company IMI,they produced much of the Ti destined for the Russian space agency.

The urban myth relates to the tubes being rolled and not drawn,and was supposedly put out by reps.

You all know what reps are like ;) :roll:

Right I've found some pics in MBUK.

Basically my frame is the same as the one Barry Clarke used with the same team decals.

I can't find any adds for this as a team bike, just the standard bike.

Here they are calling it an M-Trax 450 elite titanium.

Chris.

scan0010.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

GTJ83894_2.jpg

"uncool Raleigh team titanium."

Only the blinkered and those who are prejudiced against UK frame builders consider top-end Raleighs "uncool". They made many fine frames - and bikes!

oldave":2t764ns8 said:

Only the blinkered and those who are prejudiced against UK frame builders consider top-end Raleighs "uncool". They made many fine frames - and bikes!

Here, here!!

My 'Fleet'
1992 Raleigh Dyna-Tech MT5 (Metal-matrix composite frame)
1990 Raleigh Dyna-Tech 2070 MTB (in early '90s Team Colours)
1989 Carlton Randonneur 531ST Tourer
1990s Pashley Workbike
1926 Gents BSA single-speed (28" wheels!!)
1930s Gents Royal Enfield 3-speed (also 28s)
1950s Ladies Humber 3-speed (chainbath and 'Twin' forks)
1960s Childs Phillips single-speed (rod-brakes and a little Brooks saddle)

carlton dyna-tech":1gz6p9n8 said:
oldave":1gz6p9n8 said:
Here, here!!

See pic of my DYNATEC taurus XT purchased in 1994.
It had twin yoke Ti forks and had a list price over £1400.
The first frame was replaced when I found welds that had Cold Over lap ( ask a proper welder) began to crack. my current frame cracked last year right round the same welds at the top of the seat tube.
If you look carefully you cam se the line where the crack has started on the edge of the weld. Raleigh say its out of warranty by 6 months. I took the "control" forks off about 3 years ago to put some cool SID's on . Last week because a guy said he wanted a pair i dug out my ols forks polishe them and he was going to buy them. when qwe checked them over though we found a crack where the wheel lug has been interference fit (i.e pushed in tight) to the bottom of the fork. I looked very carfully at the other leg same thing. ( see pic ). When I last used them 3 years ago I clocked over 52 ( on cat eye and satellite nav) in France. Scary. I like Ti though its great for MTB as paints last. It also goes with my Ti shoulder buts thats another story

Attachments

• TAURUS Seat Tube Fatigue.JPG
    TAURUS Seat Tube Fatigue.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 2,023
  • TAURUS FORKS crack at Lug.JPG
    TAURUS FORKS crack at Lug.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,023
Hi there Chap
Sorry to see those cracks,i thought i'd found heaven there for a while.
I dont know if you got my last email :? ,so could you drop me a line

Would you try to beat 52 now youve seen the cracking :LOL: ,Funny how ,when you see things like cracks you wonder how long theyve been there.and would they still be dangerous if you hadnt seen them.A bit like the tree falling in the forest.If theres no one to hear,does it actually make a sound :LOL: :LOL:
Best not to ride them,its just fate that gets you ,one day they'll be fine,the next your lying on the ground with half a fork leg stuck in you :shock:
So the forks are fooked but is there any hope of rewelding your frame.In you professional experience that is :?

I'm beginning to wonder whether I should just hang the frame I bought a couple of weeks ago on the wall :?

timet.jpg

I've been trying to find some info on them and the only thing that comes up is people saying lovely frames right up until the moment they cracked :?

The one I bought is a late one ( about 2000) so you'd hope they would have sorted out their welding procedures by then :?

I've stopped looking at the welding on bike frames as I'd end up never riding a bike again :? the first Kona I ever bought had nearly every weld defect known to man on it :shock: the best bit being an incomplete weld on the seat tube to bottom bracket, so almost half the tube had no weld bead at all :roll:

Good point :cool:
My first cannondale had welding that looked like the guy had done it with his eyes shut.Horrible dogs baw full of holes,but it survived getting bounced around with an unspecified sus fork on it.
Like Jones says
've stopped looking at the welding on bike frames as I'd end up never riding a bike again

Fortune favours the unaware :D

Back