50's Fixed wheel 'path' bike

hopster

Dirt Disciple
Hilary stone thinks the frame is a Stuart Purves. He built a number for other smaller builders and he believes its one of the those.

It was resprayed by Argos and I did the lug lining myself. All original parts were cleaned/polished and refitted except the tyres, chain, stem (damaged upon removal) and bar tape.

Cranks were re-chromed and I polished the chainring to within an inch of its life.

Below is a list of the parts

Milreno Stem
GB Bars
GB Grake Lever
Weinman brake
Brampton headset
Bayliss Wiley Bottom bracket
Airlite small flange hubs on Dunlop lightweight rims (40 hole rear and 32 hole front)
Chater Lea cranks 52 tooth chainring
Sprocket 22 tooth
Super record steel post
Brooks Saddle (not sure of model)
Chater Lea Pedals

4164591752_42c8d444ee_b.jpg

set-72157622829531713

4166233539_32a8378324_b.jpg

4165843475_aa51e80d96_b.jpg

4171795687_7e48af07dc_b.jpg

4171804383_7d6afd08dd_b.jpg

Lots more here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/quantocks/sets/72157622829531713/[/img]

That is incredibly cool!

Do you ride it? ANy comparisons to more modern stuff?

That is incredibly cool!

Do you ride it? ANy comparisons to more modern stuff?

Ridden it a few times. It is really comfortable to ride and not too stiff. I am thinking of building some new wheels so I can ride it more next summer. The original wheels are lovely but steel rims are just not great for stopping and the tyre choice is limited, its also incredibly difficult to get the tyres on and off. I need to track down some 27in rims and I know someone who mighty have a pair.

Bars are also very narrow so I might change those for some wider ones at some point.

What a great piece of history on wheels!

How did you do the beautiful lug lining? Any special techniques you would like to share?

Cheers,

Ulrich

How did you do the beautiful lug lining? Any special techniques you would like to share?

Just practice. I used a tissue with some isopropyl alcohol so I could wipe the paint off if I went wrong. I used a good work stand and moved the frame around so I could get access to the areas a I was working on.

TBH honest its not that hard you just need a steady hand and be some patience. I took my time and did small sections at a time but its by no means perfect and I imagine a pro would finish it better.

This is so old it's way past retro.... Anyone old enough to have used one at the time is probably not online.

If there were any justice in the world, this would be a BOTM winner.

But there ain't.

That certainly is a fine ride! :D

There is something that looks a bit odd in my humble opinion but I couldn't put my finger on it but tonight it came to me...

It has modern tyres! Nice pair of gumwalls thats what that needs lol :D

Looks lovely though just the sort of bike I want to be riding

dbmtb":7ffjtrsm said:
This is so old it's way past retro.... Anyone old enough to have used one at the time is probably not online.

Now then cheeky ;)

Lovely frame, just right for the 'Old Skool' time trials next year.

Back