Nadolig Treigio 2009, North Wales - 'AFTERMATH'

Just got in from the pub, Its a good job I volentered to be the driver because I would of been smashed :)
see everyone tomorrow

I had a really good ride, was great to see some faces again and great to see some new faces.

I'll try and upload the pics I took soon.

The Spesh is having an extra ring on soon for the uphills :)

I'm off now for some beers, just hope I can stay awake for the night.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Mr k for yesterdays ride !

Bacon butties on arrival , great riding , great company and finished off with a mug of mulled wine .....what a brilliant day!

It was really good to meet everyone for the first time and i hope to see you all at the Turkey twizzler!

Woody :D

Fantastic day!

A good turn out with plenty of new faces, fantastic trails, beautiful weather, stunning views, some great old school bikes and top organisation from Neil and Dave.

Mechanicals for Dave Sidewinder (imploding botom bracket :shock: )and myself when my car wouldn't start in Manchester :oops: (thanks to Neil, Max and the AA for their roadside assistance).

Highlights for me was pursuing the bike less DSP through the woods, the surreal announcement/christmas party on the bridge, the final series of downhills which where fantastic, the long drag back up after the downhill :x , playing 5p/50p on the sections Mr. K decided to photograph, loads of banter especially with the plant from the secret forum (aka Max :shock: ), finishing off with mulled wine, a pint and a bite of Edwards prize winning sausage :shock:.

Attachments

• The legend knows no boundaries....jpg
    The legend knows no boundaries....jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 443
A good start to the impending 2010 season began with a trial runout for the fledgling North Wales possee. Deputy Dave and myself hosted a spin about the scenic and testing Gwydyr Trail, inviting our good fellows from the North West to join us at this most seasonal of times.

Random memories:

> The boys furtling about my cellar at 8am.
> Max forming his own one-man splinter cell - Ivy who??
> Bacon butties done in the Toyota-style
> Ladies take longer - FACT!
> The cursed Saracen doesn't clear the car park, let alone the first hill...
> New man Woody rocks up on his minty DeKerf - my BoTR
> Sarah fertilises the forest...
> Views, views and more views.
> Hills, hills and more hills.
> Christmas crackers and Ferrer Rocher on the Bridge of Fools
> Brake testing all those that dare follow the Ritchey through the singletrack
> Mark's phenomenal pinball downhilling technique on the least technically capable bike
> Being given the hurry up by Sarah the Shred in the singletrack
> Poor photographic skills.
> Sunset bringing us home to mulled wine.
> Chippy tea at Llandudno Junction
> Glow plugs that don't glow.

Slept in my clothes from 9.30pm until 3.30am when I got home - a sleep well earnt!

Thanks to all - see you in North Wales in 2010!

Mr K

Roll Call:

Mr K - Ritchey Ascent
Retroking - MC San Andreas
Sidewinder - occasionally a Saracen then an Orange
DryPaul - Marin x7
Stally - Specialized M2
Sarah - Orange Crush - modern toss!
Woody - DeKerf
Mark S - Alpinestars CroMega DX

Who have I missed??

Attachments

• Deerhead gruppo.jpg
    Deerhead gruppo.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 523
mrkawasaki":257haoya said:
Roll Call:

Mr K - Ritchey Ascent
Retroking - MC San Andreas
Sidewinder - occasionally a Saracen then an Orange
DryPaul - Marin x7
Stally - Specialized M2
Sarah - Orange Crush - modern toss!
Woody - DeKerf
Mark S - Alpinestars CroMega DX

Retroking and Woody, i've requested these for you, Max not sure you'll be able use this in your sub sect?
rank_rider.gif

Sarah you'll get yours when you register and ride retro!

Some snaps - I'll put larger ones in the archive section later. Don't hold your breath for good shots - I was having an off day with my camera...

Mr K

Attachments

• Alpine Stars.jpg
    Alpine Stars.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 516
  • George Foreman Toyota grill.jpg
    George Foreman Toyota grill.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 516
  • Key stoned cop.jpg
    Key stoned cop.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 516
  • Old school line up.jpg
    Old school line up.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 516
Well to briefly follow on from the Ober gruupmeister K Mant thansk to all those who braved a glorious day in Conwy for a great ride ,great craic and Mr K Top gears answer to Gordon Ramsay ;) I am today still in my dressing gown ,downing Lemsip and Glenfiddich for fun :cry: :cry: :cry: ,stiil se you all in Cannock on the 27th :LOL: :LOL:

Just got back from a 21st birthday party after yesterday's ride. Here's what I remember from the day:

After another late night, it was a painfully early start by the time I met Stally wandering around our local supermarket.
We quickly fueled up and hit the road in convoy across the border and into Wales.
The crisp winter sunshine and blue sky promised a fine day on the trails.
After accidentally finding our rendevous point ominously deserted, we checked in with team Mr K in the bacon-butty people carrier to find out that they were running a bit late.
So much for the threats of holly sprigs on the saddle for late-comers...

Eventually everyone arrived and we were rewarded with foil wrapped bacon butties heated on a warm engine cylinder head. I washed mine down with a flask of strong coffee while everyone assembled a fine selection of bikes.
A quick photoshoot ensued and then as we began pedalling out of the car park Sidewinder realised his tyres needed pumping up. Back to the van for a few strokes from my track pump.
And then we were off up the first climb.

It felt great to be out riding with such fine weather, where the distant hills weren't obsured by sheets of fine drizzle and cloud. Rare in Wales.
Reaching the first section of singletrack, I lead the descent on my seven speed Marin, closely followed by Stally on his bright red Spesh and Woody riding his beautiful DeKerf.
Stopping at the bottom to take in another fantastic view and regroup we waited. And then we waited some more.
Realising something was amiss, I left my bike and walked back up to see what was occuring.
Eventually after walking all the way back up the hill I found the other six riders consoling a rather embarrassed looking Sidewinder over the remains of his newly installed bottom bracket.
It looked as though his nice blue e-stay Saracen would have to fight another day, as he rolled back down to the cars to borrow a spare bike I had in my van.

Unfortunately, having left my bike at the bottom of the descent, I took a head start to practice my trail running technique. I was quickly caught and passed by 'Pinball Sinnett' on his fully rigid Alpinestars.
I stepped aside to cheer on an assortment of lovely old metal sweeping by, before resuming my own imaginary world cup winning downhill run.

Regrouping we continued with the knowledge that we'd meet up with Sidewinder further along the ride.
Mr K recalled memories of racing in Gwydyr forest in the early 90's as we rode on. His 89 Ritchey with it's much earlier geometry looked great with it's coating of trail debris and custom 'Reindeer' bars.
After several more climbs and twisting, rocky descents to test the skills and punish the hands of the fully rigid canti riders, we rolled down to meet up with Sidewinder.
While we wondered where he'd got to, Sam and Sarah conjured up a tin of corned beef and some picallili and proceeded to make themselves some trailside sandwiches. They'd even packed a knife.

It was at this point I noticed that Sam was riding in slippers, and he added that he had borrowed his Dad's bike. All he needed to complete the ensemble was a pipe and newspaper.

NWA-MarinTrail.jpg

Sidewinder Dave eventually turned up on my modern P7 and we continued the ride.

A couple of miles later, Mr K assembled us all on a bridge in the middle of the woods to formally welcome and thank us for accepting his kind invitation to ride on this fine day. Christmas crackers and Ferrero Rocher were passed around and much banter ensued. Particularly RetroKing Max's notions of setting up his own one man area group.

Remounting we carried on to a cross-roads and a short-cut back to the carpark. Waving farewell to Sidewinder, RetroKing and Sam, six riders continued downhill all the way to the bottom of the valley. Great fun, especially with cantis, and surprise action camera shoots from Mr K. He even picked the rockiest sections for added fear factor faces.

The only thing remaining now was the long fire road climb back up to the vehicles to be greeted by the three short-cutters and a flask of mulled wine.

Great day, great riding and great company. Thanks to Neil and Dave for organising it and thanks to everyone for coming along and making it all so much fun.

I'll see you at the Turkey Twizzler. :D

Back