BoTM December 2009 - Nomination please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been absolutely mesmerised by Bushpig's Mantis X. Can't stop looking at it. Beautiful geometry and staggering attention to detail, the cable routing is fantastic, but how is the rear brake cable loop secured, and why not into a twin screwed retainer block, and why no protection inside the cable guides?
I'm not carping, it's that the integration of the tubing with the cabling, seatpost clamp etc is so well resolved that it positively invites scrutiny.

The alignment of the valves with the tyre labels is fine if simply for a posed pic, and would have been even more effective if aligned with the angle of the forks, but this kind of detail clashes with the rest of the bike where everything is engineered for a purpose.

I like to vote for a bike that I sense gets ridden despite its painstaking build. There is nothing to suggest that this Mantis has yet been out infact everything says it hasn't. Please tell me it will Bushpig, 'cos I really want to vote for this.

Sorry about the ramble... :D

Just because a bike is spotlessly clean doesn't mean it doesn't get used. Take a look in my garage- almost all get riden hard, and in all weathers, but if you can find a spec of dirt on any of them i will give you a hundred quid. Granted, the wheel rims and tyres look unmarked but how many people have a set of wheels and tyres that go on a bike for riding duty to save the NOS stuff for sunday best? I know I do.

Some stunning machinery this month again. Hopefully the sun will shine in the morning and I can get some pics and throw another hat into the ring

Si

Mountain Goat is DQ'd for me because of the sloppy front brake cable ferrule in the headset - it's a 6mm thread, and that hanger takes an 8mm. This is a VERY easy part to find at a local shop. Attention to detail is key---especially if you take a crystal clear photo of the front of the bike! It's a beautiful bike, but that little detail caught my eye.

BP's Mantis is clean on every level and every detail. That's why it's getting my vote.

If someone goes through the effort of sourcing an all-NOS parts kit for a bike, they try not to ride it for as long as possible - hence the NOS-ness...

andrewl":1qm7pfvw said:
rumpfy":1qm7pfvw said:
My vote is to ban gm1230126.

I'm sure he's just having a bad hair day or something like that ;)

Anyway are you going to throw the Orange Sligshot into the vote? Sure its not a likely winner, but I'm sure it will get a few votes :)

Naaah, I'm retired. :p

[edit]
Forget it.

I was having a bit of a moan at "gm......."
But that doesn't help & I see (s)he started being a nicer later in the thread.

So, after sticking my oar into the fray I shall remove it again & just say:
Nice to see your bikes each month, people; Keep up the good work.

As "gm....."said: "Back to the bikes".

;)

Re: The other Cunningham

bushpig":qaz26160 said:
This is Mantis X Frame, later called the Valkryie, number 1. It was Richard Cunningham's personal bike and he used it to test the new design. The frame design was only made for one year before Mantis went to elevated chainstays.

The bike has been painstakingly restored with a period correct, NOS kit.

DAMN!!! :shock:

oneschnark":4mzbkcol said:
Salut,
Tamarac 1989

Philippe

The winner for me, but the French Breezer it's very nice, like little Pinnacle like the ................................ :shock: :shock:
Very good selection this month :D

I will put forth my Yo Eddy.

More pics and spec here
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81873&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

4187363066_9ecf0d571c_o.jpg

4187363074_5e8e73ff71_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back