Ok, biking - why do you actually do it?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Was listening to Tour De France by Kraftwerk on the train this morning and wondered if I liked it because it was about bikes ("carbon, aluminium - velo titanium"), or because it was Kraftwerk or a bit of both.

And I started thinking about why I love biking so much.

Stock answer ticked all the usual boxes...freedom, peace, aestheticism, consumerism, adrenaline, friends, fitness, space, time...

But really, why biking? Why love?

Went round the houses thinking, and wondered if it was just because everyone needs a hobby and this one has just evolved since childhood and stayed around?

Kept me busy for two counties and what I came up with was the feeling I get when lying on the side of a South Down in summer, staring up through plutonite at a blue sky to a soundtrack of bees and buzzy things going about their business like I wasn't even there.

Nutshell: it's just a feeling for me. Can't put a word to it.

Why do you do it?

Because gives me freedom away from public transport. It kind of saves me money. Keeps me fitter, slimmer. Sorry saving the planet doesn't come into it.

those are two very good reasons also. It's :shock: in London. Cabs, Bus trying to kill me. Plus the odd pedesrian wanting a 1.5'' tire across them. Can't beat the look of hot totty in lycra. Plus sod riding in jeans

tintin40":1lw0benp said:
those are two very good reasons also. It's :shock: in London. Cabs, Bus trying to kill me. Plus the odd pedesrian wanting a 1.5'' tire across them. Can't beat the look of hot totty in lycra. Plus sod riding in jeans

north downs is just a quick train ride away :)

north downs is just a quick train ride away :)[/quote]
So true plus a long weekend coming. I'll be down there :D

Jo Burt in Mint Sauce sums it all up for me - the imagery, philosophy etc there. Plus scaring myself sh!tless!

Control and freedom - to scare myself, go where I want and the usual pain. The pain is part of the enjoyment :twisted:

Fitness is a bonus too. and the lycra feels soooo goood ;)

I think a lot of it is about what you happened to get into, and as such start liking more etc..

Back