Cleland Highpath Birthday Ride - Wendover??

I will post a few pictures soon, though I mostly recorded the ride on video with my new "Hat Cam" I will find out about putting some footage on YouTube.

The day did indeed go well apart from a modern bike that packed up about 1pm with a split front tyre and rubbing front brakes and a leaky airshock, and all before we found the serious mud. They don’t make bikes like they used to as the 1983 Cleland (No5) and the 1986 Highpath (No1), had no problems all day.

The new owner of the 1983 Cleland only started enjoying the ride after I let about 50 psi of air pressure out of his tyres at lunchtime. He did not realize that the tyres are traditionally run at about 15 psi. And no, you don't get pinch punctures with Cleland tyres. I have never had a pinch puncture in 25 years of riding this way).

I again won the cleanest (end of ride) chain prize with my new Cleland/NRS design. This was mainly due to the plastic tubes I have installed around the chain. Although the fact that I was the only judge may have helped.

All in all a very good ride, and due to the mild-ish weather, we achieved a talking to riding ratio of about 8:2. With global warming, this record may be broken next year. In which case the ride could be a keen contender for the ride with the longest stops record as well as that of the oldest annual mountain bike ride in Britain.

Graham.

Well I'm going to claim the steepest climb of the day fastest bike of the day and the most hammered bike of the day, with no break-downs.

Commencal Meta 5.5 2008.

Hi Robert.

Can I claim the steepest climb, whilst maintaining the cleanest chain, on the day before the ride?

This of course takes precedence to anything that happened on the ride itself. :D

Attachments

• 44 percent climb.jpg
    44 percent climb.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 6,968
  • 44 percent climb A.jpg
    44 percent climb A.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 6,968
Some 2009 Birthday Ride Photos

Attachments

• DSC01117s.jpg
    DSC01117s.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 6,975
  • DSC01123s.jpg
    DSC01123s.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6,974
  • DSC01113c.jpg
    DSC01113c.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 6,975
  • DSC01087s.jpg
    DSC01087s.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 6,975
Thanks for the report - sorry to have missed this (again)!

Hopefully we can see a Highpath/Cleland or two in Wales next September...

Mr K

mrkawasaki said: "Hopefully we can see a Highpath/Cleland or two in Wales next September"...

I will do my best to rally the troops. Although the Cleland/Highpath community is widely spread around the British Isles. A Welsh location could encourage the Wales centred Highpath people to make an appearance.

A straw poll amoungst the 'Birthday riders' indicated that most, like myself would like to be there. Since between us we own 9 Clelands and two Highpaths (all pre 1990 and 8 of those in full working order), we should manage at least a small presence.

Graham.

Wales sounds interesting. I'm hoping to get some folks together for a ride in Trunton Woods; some nice challenging singletrack, but I just pootle down while waving my Bus Pass.

Yes, Wendover was an excellent ride. Robert and I seemed to be the most adventurous of the group, and he's only a few weeks younger than me. We both had a good thrash down the final hill, after dark, he lead and I was right behind him.

Aventura TwentyTen, although only completed the week before, and had its final tweaks the day before, behaved with aplomb, in fact it was just like riding one of my originals, but better.

I felt a little responsible in case Jan's original Aventura broke down for any reason. However, once he realised that 15lb in the tyres was just right, there was no stopping him.

So, here's to next year.

Cleanest Chain of the Month Winner - (CCotM) December 2009

Geoff Apps wrote:
"Wendover was an excellent ride. Robert and I seemed to be the most adventurous of the group, and he's only a few weeks younger than me. We both had a good thrash down the final hill, after dark, he lead and I was right behind him".
I may be younger. But it's difficult to be "adventurous" and to be the first to "thrash down the final hill", when you know that main purpose of the ride is to...

...have the cleanest chain. :shock:

Attachments

• DSC01098s.jpg
    DSC01098s.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 3,445
  • DSC01111s.jpg
    DSC01111s.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3,445
Ha ha, that made me chuckle.

Yes, I was impressed on the day, and I'm reminded of the experimentation with DPC the previous day.

If just fitted a longer mudflap to my front wheel, and when I get the longer mudguards fitted, it'll give even more protection.

Also, I've just fitted the Haworth Swing pedals, and will try them out tomorrow.

mrkawasaki":307skjpb said:
That bicycle is a peach - get it in BoTM pronto!

What's the story behind the find??

Mr K

Hi All.
I'm the third owner of No.5. The original owner was an American, probably Armed forces, as the bike has been around the world on various postings but ended up back in East Anglia. c.2005 It was then acquired by a fellow member of the Veteran Cycle Club, who like the original owner visited Geoff back in the '80's but could not afford one at the time. I aquired the bike from Tim in early 2008, and apart from changing the pedals and a service, I have done nothing to the machine. As Graham pointed out in his Birthday ride report, he did advise me to drop the tyre pressures for the muddy conditions. So far it has been mainly used on Bridleways and some road mileage, but even with 60 psi Clelands are a bit sluggish on road. Off road with 15 psi and they are in their element, never has mud been so much fun....honest. Unfortunately lost out badly in the "Keeping the Chain Clean" competition, but will try harder next year.
Believed to be one of only two machines supplied in all black finish, this bike is in near original condition [thanks Graham - for the loan of the chain guard] requiring just minor mods to the rear rack, a TA chainset and the addition of a new set of transfers to add [Thanks Geoff] to bring it back into spec. All in all a rare machine and a most enjoyable way to get off road. Note, if you attend next year, Deerstalker, shirt, tie,Plus fours and tweed jacket are compulsory :) keepin' it low and slo', Jan

Attachments

• cleland&highpath1.jpg
    cleland&highpath1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 3,392
Back