Raleigh 753 frame advice required

John":1w8bjgff said:
Maybe try asking on the TI Raleigh Yahoo group, some very knowledgeable people there (think some post here but no regularly).

Cheers for that - I've just joined.

Ta v. much,

Andy

Is there any reason why the seat stays on my frame fasten in such a way - right at the top & back of the seat tube ?

Does it confer any advantage ?

The bike on Ebay (link below) is also 753; but it is entirely different to my frame. It has different stays.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raleigh-Special-P ... 2c521ac9e4

There appears to have been quite a lot of variety amongst the Raleigh Special Division bikes.

A contact has offered me a '126mm 7sp Ultegra 6402 HyperGlide compatible cassette hub' - would that be suitable for my bike ?

Regards.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
lastpubrunner":1aw7ljwe said:
Is there any reason why the seat stays on my frame fasten in such a way - right at the top & back of the seat tube ?

Does it confer any advantage ?

The bike on Ebay (link below) is also 753; but it is entirely different to my frame. It has different stays.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raleigh-Special-P ... 2c521ac9e4

There appears to have been quite a lot of variety amongst the Raleigh Special Division bikes.

A contact has offered me a '126mm 7sp Ultegra 6402 HyperGlide compatible cassette hub' - would that be suitable for my bike ?

Regards.

Sure I've seen later bikes with that seatstay configuration. As you ay just a different design. Sure the experts on the yahoo group will put you right on that.

Hub sounds spot on. A pair?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Raleigh

Could be a Dynaflight with those stays. Also, have a look at the damaged Raleigh under the "polo" link. Apparently it was Malcolm Elliot's.
It does have the stays that were fitted in fastback style.

Roger.

I think Cinelli was the first to put fast back seat stays on a bike in 1947. I believe the reasons were increase stiffness and aerodynamic.

Back